Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum and I'm so excited to find people who share my passion for Corvettes.

I bought my first Corvette when I was 20 in '91. It was a white '77 L48 automatic. Due to financial and storage circumstances I had to part with her 2 years later. I've been desperate to own one ever since but it just never made sense....UNTIL NOW!

I've been looking for a Stingray for a couple of months now, but where I live (about 45 mins east of Toronto) the pickin's are pretty slim. I looked at over 20 Stingray's all described by their owners as being in 'excelllent' condition but they were all either basket cases or grossly overpriced (often both).

A new posting in the Autotrader last week caught my eye so I went to have a look. The car was a 1972 LT-1 coupe, Elkhart Green. The gentleman that was selling it had owned it for many years and had done some pretty extensive work in the last few years.

The body had been removed from the frame and the frame was completely disassembled and taken down to bare metal and repainted. All new bushings, body mounts, etc were installed. Then the engine was rebuilt, using aluminum heads (I have the originals) a more aggressive cam and headers. He also replaced the standard LT-1 3.70 rear with a 3.55 (again, I have the original). I just had her safetied this morning, no problems at all.

The interior is in very good shape, I'd say an 8 out of 10, certainly very livable and he included a new set of carpets and underpad, although I don't think it really needs it. The steering wheel is a later model vette wheel, but I have the original and I plan reinstall it. (btw...if anyone can help me with how I'd go about making that swap I'd be grateful) Also, the stereo is an aftermarket Pioneer of early 80's vintage, but I have the original including the huge heatsink and I plan to reinstall that too. (Again, any advice would be greatly appreciated)

The paint is another story. It's 26 years old and showing it's age. I'd say it's a really good 10-footer. Not sure what to expect to pay for a good paint job, but I can live with it for a few years anyway.

That's my story, I'm thrilled to have rejoined the ranks of Corvette owners, I was beginning the think I'd never have another one, especially not a chrome-bumpers car, and especially not an LT-1.

Here's a few pictures....

·
DC Crew
53,221 Posts
Great story, and welcome to the site!

I'm glad you are back in a Vette again, and you picked a great one to own. Enjoy.:thumbsup:

·
DC PIT CREW BOSS
39,439 Posts
Nice ride. I really like the chrome bumper Vette

... and welcome to DC

·
Registered
6,909 Posts
:thumbsup:

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
msu-C3 said:
great vette! If you repaint have you thought on what color?

welcome to DC!
Hey thanks for your note. Can't tell you guys how freakin' tickled I am about this car and this forum!

When I paint it I'll keep it original. Green isn't my favourite colour, but it's growing on me. My wife is lobbying hard to get rid of the stipes on the hood, but she lost that battle before it even began.

Cheers!

·
Registered
3,584 Posts
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts