Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, while taking a picture of my suspension (attached) to show you that I have an early St. louis 1981 vette (October 1980) with STEEL leaf spring (instead of fiberglass) automatic and NO sway bar, I took a second look at my gas tank with a flashlight and there it was! The build sheet is actually hanging down from the front of my tank, with half not attached at all. Couldn't get a good pic, but I'm going to pull down the tire carrier for a better shot. I'm going to try to read it without removal. What do you think? Is an intact and visible build sheet worth keeping there? I know that I will rip it if I try to remove.

Don't forget, check out my steel leaf spring. No sway bar that I can see, thus no FE7 option. All original car. What do you think?

P.S. The nylon brake parts are the anti-squeal items I put in when I first bought the car. I have to get them out and do the brakes up right.

Danny

Attachments

·
Registered
296 Posts
Danny
What to do? a matter of personal preference I suppose. I have heard of removing the tank entirely to keep it intact and subbing in a replacement tank, or leaving it and putting a piece of plastic over it taped at the sides so a not to damage the sheet, or perhaps someone else will chime in with a way to remove it without damage. Either way, I recommend several high-res digital pics. Post up pics and maybe the spring issue can be cleared up.

steve

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
Hi all, while taking a picture of my suspension (attached) to show you that I have an early St. louis 1981 vette (October 1980) with STEEL leaf spring (instead of fiberglass) automatic and NO sway bar, I took a second look at my gas tank with a flashlight and there it was! The build sheet is actually hanging down from the front of my tank, with half not attached at all. Couldn't get a good pic, but I'm going to pull down the tire carrier for a better shot. I'm going to try to read it without removal. What do you think? Is an intact and visible build sheet worth keeping there? I know that I will rip it if I try to remove.

Don't forget, check out my steel leaf spring. No sway bar that I can see, thus no FE7 option. All original car. What do you think?

P.S. The nylon brake parts are the anti-squeal items I put in when I first bought the car. I have to get them out and do the brakes up right.

Danny
Drop the tank, and remove the sheet. It will just decay away in there.:thud:

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
To be continued..

Well, I got up "raring to go" this morning and get that build sheet. Hung up already on the tire carrier bolt - it's frozen but not rusted at all. Sprayed it up good with PB blaster and maybe try tomorrow. It's a long bolt and I've got this "feeling" that its going to snap like the intake bolt on my engine. Will keep you posted....

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes

Yes, that's exactly how it is placed!!! I was hoping that I didn't have to drop that tank to get to it though. I actually reached it with my fingers and it is in very good shape, not even yellowed. (The car is a 1981). I'm trying to figure out how the car got a steel leaf but no gymkana suspension. It wasn't replaced as far as I can tell.

If I can get to it I will send a pic.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Mine was in pretty bad shape, but I used a razor blade to remove it and stuck it in a zip lock and put it in the file. Like some posted, it will just continue to decay where it is.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Did you pull your tank to get it all? That doesn't look like an easy job. Details if you would please...thanks.

Danny

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Got the tire carrier down, the upper portion is pop riveted in. Wondering if I should follow this through. Have a shop manual and have to see what it takes to pull the tank. A little worried right now....but I can see the sheet!

·
Premium Member
5,157 Posts
Hi all, while taking a picture of my suspension (attached) to show you that I have an early St. louis 1981 vette (October 1980) with STEEL leaf spring (instead of fiberglass) automatic and NO sway bar...

Danny
Hi, Danny -

It's been a while since I was under a C3, but isn't that linkage in the second picture (to the rear of the caliper, extending over the exhaust pipe) your sway bar? If you follow it from one side, doesn't it connect via a similar linkage to the other side?

Steven

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
DannyP Your pic shows a steel spring and a stock rear sway bar. I'd say you've got the FE7 suspension package OR a previous owner went to the trouble of changing to a steel spring and adding the rear sway bar.

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks....I thought that rear item was a bit thin to be a sway bar...but I will check it out. Hopefully, very soon I will have that build sheet down and then we'll know for sure! Anyone know what glue they used to attach it? I may try to detach it without moving the tank. Pictures soon.

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
...I thought that rear item was a bit thin to be a sway bar...Anyone know what glue they used to attach it?...
Rear sway bars are not very big; less than 1/2" diameter. Sure looks like a stock setup in your pic.

Cheapo glue used on the tank stickers. It wasn't supposed to be permanent. Only had to be sticky enough for the sheet to be seen until body drop.

Remember: that piece of paper is nearly 30 years old and has been exposed to the elements. Don't pull on it or it is likely to tear.

·
Registered
658 Posts
mine droped off in two parts can't see any writing at all oh well.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I posted a copy of the sheet for my '75 in photos pending approval. note how in the middle of the page it lists all options. Notice also the individual springs and stabilizer bar are called out in the boxes across the top.
dannyp if you really have FE7 it will be listed there.

steve

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
...if you really have FE7 it will be listed there....
Based on his pics, he's got the FE7 (rear bar and steel spring, anyway, provided a PO didn't make the installation). The FE7 package will be listed as an option on his build sheet when he gets to it.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts