Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my first vette in january and have been working on getting her up to speed since then. I took care of the small projects and one big one with the transmission, but one problem remained: the engine would not keep a tune. I have spent 4 entire saturdays getting it running smooth. At the end of each day I had a nice cruise around the neighborhood as payment for my hard labor. But the next time I would go out to the car it would hardly run, manifold pressure would be less than 10 (12ish if i was really lucky) the mixture screws would do no good, and it sounded like it was ripping itself to pieces! Tonight I was going to take the car to a local shop to flush the radiator. I turned the car on and it wouldnt even fire (on saturday is was running like a dream) I hooked up the vacuum gauge and went to work. After about 30 minutes I got it working well enough to limp it over to the shop.

No such luck. I went exactly one block and it died. I messed with it a few more minutes on the side of the road and then I noticed the temp gauge was at around 250. I shut it down and called the insurance company for a tow (I was stranded by the side of the road :laughing: ) The car is now sitting in the shop waiting for people smarter than I to look at it tomorrow afternoon. I am keeping my fingers crossed that it will come out driving like a dream and allow me to driver her out to BG on saturday, but only time will tell.

:down: :down: :down:

·
DC PIT CREW BOSS
39,518 Posts
Man I hope you get it running. I'd hate to see you have to tow it to BG this saturday

·
Registered
738 Posts
Well if you hit 250 you could have some real problems on your hands. I asume if you were taking it to get the rad done, it sounds like heat mave been a chronic problem?
that could be the root problem, you may have a warped head or leaking head gasket, if it will run that way it might run differently when cold or hot. Also sounds like some vac leaks.

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just talked to the guy.

I have duel electric fans and they were popping the 30 amp fues. Turns out the motors are made by our friends from the far east :bang . New ones are on order and he will have them in on friday afternoon. His professional opinion (and my unprofessional) is the destributor is going. Ive got a new one ready for pickup tomorrow. Ill drop the distributor in on friday when I pick up the car and tune her up for saturday. Damn I hope this solves everything.

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would send it to you but i need the car running on saturday for BG. On sunday I can pull the new one out, see how unused it looks and if it looks returnable then i will gladly have you rebuild the old one. How much do you charge?

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
1 - 8 of 8 Posts