Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to buy a whole new posi now. Where would you look?

Tom's charges 600 dollars for one in "stock" form.

I wonder what Randy's ring and pinions price would be with a business account?

http://www.ringpinion.com/ProductDetails.aspx?ProdID=2833

Has carbon fiber clutches though.

Are the new Posi's the same as stock?

Also what about friction coatings? The machine my dad's friend owns is starting to do it now.

Edit: duntovs is also decently priced.

http://www.duntovmotors.com/Differentials.htm

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
I'd call VanSteel because they're local to you.... on their website they have a Posi (Eaton) for less than $500. You probably get a 10% forum discount and don't have to pay shipping :thumbsup:

I looked at Duntovmotors website, they want you to pay for shipping your core (likely around $80 at that weight) to get $100 for your core ??? They say core value is between $100 and $400 ... I guess if the old differential is worth $400 it's in pretty good shape and you don't need a new one :rolling: :rolling:

Ecklers has rebuilt differentials for $899 but they want a $450 core charge :down:

·
Registered
517 Posts
Jeez Chris, talk to Gary (gtr1999) and Mike (traccdog) BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING!!! They'll guide you in the right direction for whatever you need to do.

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Jeez Chris, talk to Gary (gtr1999) and Mike (traccdog) BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING!!! They'll guide you in the right direction for whatever you need to do.
I also want to change to 3.73's. I think I found one done already with a very reputable seller.

I have 3.36's now. Too slow.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Auburn units are actually stronger than the Eaton units but the Auburn units are not rebuildable. They are not a POS. They also offer a warranty and Eaton does not.

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Auburn units are actually stronger than the Eaton units but the Auburn units are not rebuildable. They are not a POS. They also offer a warranty and Eaton does not.
Mines worn out and the warranty is expired. Thats a POS in my books :laughing:

·
Supporting Vendor
3,785 Posts
Eaton's new loaded units do have a warranty and they are better then Auburns cone units. A custom built Eaton is better then a new loaded one. 12 bolts conversions are Eaton units as well.

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah I need it completely done by the first.

I would like to find a used carrier and rebuild it but I may not find one.

How long would the new eaton last? I also want to change gears though. I found one that has gears and a decent posi. It's a little expensive though.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Best "posi" unit I know of for racing/heavy abuse is Detroit Locker. Not sure if they make one for a Vette. Detroit Locker is what they use in NASCAR, since the rear end technically has to be an "open" rear end. It's posi only when it needs to be.

Here's a place that sells Detroit Lockers:
http://nationaldrivetrain.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/page23.html

Dep

·
Banned
3,855 Posts
Heh...another reason to install a solid axle rear end :laughing:
:rolling: :rolling: :rolling:

EVERY time my ass sets in the seat I know there is a solid rear in my car....

why???

27 years ago I had Rectal surgery...and the Doc told me part of me were perfect, and any questions 'show em your scars'.....

Fell off my boat deck, onto the parking lot from ~5' high....ass fault....

so it introduced a fault into my ass....

serious as heart attack....:laughing: :crazy: :cheers:

·
Registered
148 Posts
Eaton's new loaded units do have a warranty and they are better then Auburns cone units. A custom built Eaton is better then a new loaded one. 12 bolts conversions are Eaton units as well.
Thanks, I realize the 12 bolts are Eatons. I have nothing against Eaton's at all. They are exceptial units. Your correct about the warranty but 1 yr vs 3 yrs is a big difference. This guy doesn't know much (no disrepect) and looking for the cheapest way out on every thread. Auburns can be had for about $100 less than Eatons as well. I disagree with you that the new stock Eatons are stronger than the Auburn units though. A built up Eaton, yes, but not stock to stock. Never-the-less, both are good units with the advantage to Eaton becasue they are rebuildable.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts