Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As some of you already know, I'm part way through my cam break in. i've had a number of electrical issues as well as oil leaks that I'm sorting out as I go along and am taking care of them as they come up. I'm now a little past the 20 minutes at 2000 RPM cam break in.

Earlier today, I got the engine running, brought it up to speed and let it run for almost 7 minutes. towards the end of this, the temperature was really starting to climb so i shut it down to investigate. Almost immediately, the rad cap started venting steam/water. Damg! :thud:

I also had a minor leak at the thermostat cover. It's one of the o-ring seal type that i've had issues with before so I didn't really worry about it. Unfortunately, I could see a pool forming between the cover at the head. Dang, could the intake be leaking? Dang dang dang dang .......:thud: :thud: :thud:

The reason that I thought is was the intake is because the base of the thermostat cover stopped leaking but there was a gurggling noise and the pool at the head/intake interface was growing. I let the engine cool and put a new gasket in. Then i started the next cycle. I let the engine run and comp up to temp. At about 210, the rad cap started venting so i stopped again and there was the pool at the head again :nuts: :nuts: :nuts:

No leak at the base of the thermostat housing, but I could see water trickling down and hear the gurggling coming from it :WTF

To make a long story short, the rad cap has almost no spring pressure and the casting of the thermostat cover is leaking. The head is fine.

Sometimes this car just brings me to tears.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
:cheers: Have one on me,I feel your pain bro fighting some probs of my own but they are getting better,and hopefully yours will too. :thumbsup:

Kevin

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
Isn't this fun. Grumpy was right. Corvettes are for masochistic rich guys. Too bad we ain't rich.:rolling: :rolling:

I'm about to burn my POS.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Isn't this fun. Grumpy was right. Corvettes are for masochistic rich guys. Too bad we ain't rich.:rolling: :rolling:

I'm about to burn my POS.
:rolling: :rolling:

·
Registered
677 Posts
Nothing has ever came easy on the vette!!Everything seems to turnout worse case senario on mine !But it has made me one of the most alert and careful owners around,I pay way more attention to the small stuff than I used to,and investigate every noise!Hang in there guy's!,we WILL win!:thumbsup:
IT"S WORTH IT!!IT'S WOrth it.It's worth it.it's worth,,,,,,IT's WORK!!!:thud: :D :laughing:

·
Registered
738 Posts
For break in and new engine test run, leave the thermostat out and look in the rad to make sure your getting good flow. Use a box fan of one of them bigass shop fans if you have it to do your break in.

I just found out how stupid I can get, rebuilt my carb today abd was about to install it on my fancy ass shiny edlebrock Air Gap, and found out I ordered a square bore instead of a spread bore.

thats going to cost me a week.

Grrrr

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
For break in and new engine test run, leave the thermostat out and look in the rad to make sure your getting good flow. Use a box fan of one of them bigass shop fans if you have it to do your break in.

I just found out how stupid I can get, rebuilt my carb today abd was about to install it on my fancy ass shiny edlebrock Air Gap, and found out I ordered a square bore instead of a spread bore.

thats going to cost me a week.

Grrrr
Thanks Danny. I feel better now. These guys that say they never have problems are either liars, or never do anything. It's human nature to mess up. To really **** up requires a computer. It can mess up 1,000,000 times a second.

·
Banned
3,855 Posts
Thanks Danny. I feel better now. These guys that say they never have problems are either liars, or never do anything. It's human nature to mess up. To really **** up requires a computer. It can mess up 1,000,000 times a second.

but a more MODERN computer can do it.....3,000,000,000 times a second....:laughing: :rolling:

DAMN we are slo.....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts