Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I was at the track with some BFG DR's and cold weather. Each run I was getting deeper into the 11's and hooking great. So as I raised my launch rpm's my 60's dropped. Well 4700 was a bit too much :spanked: I have everything built but the gears in the rear, so I *think* they took a vacation.

Yes I realized I was staging (with the revs) a bit early, but I was playing with them at the time. Car is at the shop now, hopefully it's not too bad.

·
DC Crew
32,974 Posts
That sucks. What ratio are you going to put in there? Hopefully it's just the ring and pinion.

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That sucks. What ratio are you going to put in there? Hopefully it's just the ring and pinion.
Yea this does hurt a bit. I want to go with a blower down the road, and now is the time (if they went) to choose a different ratio. What do you think would work well with a blower? I could always stick with 3.42s but i was wondering about 373s or 390s

·
Premium Member
3,766 Posts
With a blower, anything numerically higher is going to make first gear useless. Even with the 3.42's, you will have a tough time hooking it up. Unless you plan on 2nd gear launches, I doubt you would see much improvement.

But hey, I'm no drag racer.

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
With a blower, anything numerically higher is going to make first gear useless. Even with the 3.42's, you will have a tough time hooking it up. Unless you plan on 2nd gear launches, I doubt you would see much improvement.

But hey, I'm no drag racer.
I thought the same, so I was probably going to stick with 3.42s

and hell no never will I do a 2nd gear launch :thud:

·
I support glass stairways
5,955 Posts
Hell, with a blower and a manual overdrive, I'd put 3.08s in it...:partyon:

·
Registered
12,410 Posts
Right now I'm making 530 to the rear wheels with 4:10's. It's totally ridiculous. I put them in when the motor was stock with just headers and intake and they worked well then, however, with 200 more to the rear wheels 1st and 2nd is is kind of a joke. I think you need to look at where the car is going to end up after the blower and gear it there. I think if you're going to be about 600 to the rears the 3:42's would be good. Les to about 500 I would go with 3:73's.

I may be wrong but I've heard that for some reason 3:90's break easily...

I'm going back to 3:42's with a stage 5 tranny and a dual carbon clutch.

Sorry to hear about your troubles, but it's happened to a lot of us. Racing is fun, but can be expensive.

Who's doing the work?

·
Registered
383 Posts
See signature for mods including 4.10's.

I, too, had the 4.10's installed when the C6 was just a bolt on car and, at the time, had no desire to go S/C. Until last week, my car was running on the stock run flats and, to say the least, they sucked. Anything near WOT at speeds 70 and under produced wheel spin.

Now, the car is on Toyo R888 (305 35 18 rears). I make great traction from 2nd gear on. 1st gear still requires some skill - it is definitely not a gun it and go type of car.

That being said, I am not interested in trading my 4.10's. Most of my street racing, I mean, spirited driving occurs from a roll. That being said, the 4.10's are a huge bonus. 6th gear is also now useable (shift from 5 to 6 at 177 mph. 6th caps at a theoretical 227 mph if I could pull redline in 6th gear) Also, it pulls well on the highway without much use of the throttle whether or not I downshift (it was like that pre SC too).

BUT

If I had to do all over again, I would not have changed the final drive - I would spend the money to regear the transmission itself to provide for 210 mph in 5th gear OR I would just buy the ZR1 transmission and run it with 3:42's and say the hell with an overdrive 6th.

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Who's doing the work?
New Era Performance Parts in Rochester NY

They installed the clutch, transmission, etc.

If I had to do all over again, I would not have changed the final drive - I would spend the money to regear the transmission itself to provide for 210 mph in 5th gear OR I would just buy the ZR1 transmission and run it with 3:42's and say the hell with an overdrive 6th.
I already have a RPM Stage 5+ M12 transmission so I think I will just stick with the 3.42s (still need to hear back about what actually broke). Buffalo doesn't have any roads to run the car up to those speeds (200+) so I am not worried, but it would be nice :devil:

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

All fixed now though :thumbsup: Now both shafts are DTE and shouldn't break

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
:thumbsup:Glad you got it fixed, good luck

1 - 11 of 11 Posts