Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's a known fact that a lot of A6 compressors throw oil at the clutch. I've had 3 and they all threw varying amounts of oil on the engine and up under the hood. I decided to do something about it and made a shield that fits over the clutch assembly. The whole project cost about $5 not including tools and consisted of a piece of aluminum sheet that I bought at the local hardware store. Here's pics of the progress.

Cardboard templete

Shield, cut and bent

Buffed and mounted to compressor

Yeah, I know, the pics suck but its the best I can do right now. :laughing: I'll probably pull it off and give it a little better buffing and I have to ziptie the clutch wire but you get the idea. I'm sure this will beat cleaning the underside of the hood. :thumbs:

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Ingenious Idea and $5 bucks well spent. :thumbsup:

Now it's gonna cost $5000 for the paten. :(

·
Registered
19,914 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,444 Posts
now there are 60,000 people rushing to the patent office.

·
Premium Member
6,667 Posts
Very cool.:thumbsup:

·
DC Crew
2,988 Posts
It's very nice. Will any of the collected oil drip down onto your belt though? Just wondering.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Is that why I have bubbles in the paint in that general area?? For $5 and the postage will you send me one?

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Is that why I have bubbles in the paint in that general area??
Probably so.............oil soaking through from the under side of the hood
and screwing up the paint on the top side is not an uncommon problem
with Corvettes. The sad part is........the only way to fix this problem
(the paint that is) is to replace the hood, you'll never get the oil out off
the fiberglass. (at least....not that I know of).

·
Banned
3,855 Posts
Probably so.............oil soaking through from the under side of the hood
and screwing up the paint on the top side is not an uncommon problem
with Corvettes. The sad part is........the only way to fix this problem
(the paint that is) is to replace the hood, you'll never get the oil out off
the fiberglass. (at least....not that I know of).
Not true, some years ago a woman I knew had a '78, R4 that tossed oil, and soaked through, ruined the paint,....her son was in the body business, and successfully removed the oil outta the glass, dunno how though...I have to assume some gasoline/carb cleaner and detergent....the new paint lasted for years after.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Not true, some years ago a woman I knew had a '78, R4 that tossed oil, and soaked through, ruined the paint,....her son was in the body business, and successfully removed the oil outta the glass, dunno how though...I have to assume some gasoline/carb cleaner and detergent....the new paint lasted for years after.
That's a new one to me.........I would sure love to know just how he did that.
If you ever cross paths with them again find out and give us an update.
This inquiring mind would like to know. :cheers:

·
DC PIT CREW BOSS
39,676 Posts
Cool idea. It'd also be a good place to put the coffee cup while you're working on the engine :laughing:

·
Banned
3,855 Posts
Cool idea. It'd also be a good place to put the coffee cup while you're working on the engine :laughing:
Or beer.....on that oil thing, I have not heard from them in ages....

I need to know that just for edjumakshun also....

I call her old company she worked at, and ask.....

·
Supporting Vendor
3,773 Posts
Nice job and sure to help others. If you see this in a future vendors catalog I'd be PO'd.

·
Registered
3,584 Posts
:thumbsup: Good job

·
Banned
3,855 Posts
That's a new one to me.........I would sure love to know just how he did that.
If you ever cross paths with them again find out and give us an update.
This inquiring mind would like to know. :cheers:

SMYDA, you right, it had been 2-3 years since I talked to her, and maybe 5 years since talking to her son, who I find out owns his own paint/body shop now.....smart kid....and his daughter is going to college this fall.....
been a while,

anyhooooo....the truth outted, and you are correct, he never did get all the oil outta the glass, he says same thing, it's can't be done...chemistry is not the answer, a new hood IS......he ground it down and coated it with epoxy crap, and then painted it.....he says the paint will eventually fail again though....lovely...

I maybe take a trip across town to see him, get that fugly front end painted decent....

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Glad y'all like this. Just a few pointers in case you want to try it yourself. Don't try to make a curved or round one. I tried that first and found that it rubbed aginst the hood (even my L88 hood). Also, make sure you don't go much higher than the top of the compressor mounting flange or any further than the end of the clutch if you make a flat one like mine or it'll rub too. And as much as I'd like to be a manufacturing juggernaut :laughing: I don't think I'll be producing any in the near future.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts