Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This guy was a GM process engineer on the Corvette in the early 80's. He said that Zora was a detail control freak. Zora supposedly mandated that all decisions would be his. So GM got pissed, because that type of manager does not let his subordinates "grow". In other words, he had no succession plan or intent. So they brought in Dave Mc Cellan (sp?) Dave was a Stanford guy that had zero experience for the task and let his people run wild. Supposedly it was during this turmoil period that the 83 was skipped, and why the 84 was considered a POS inside GM.

I don't know how much of this is fact or BS, but that's what the dude told me.

·
DC Crew
3,723 Posts
According to McClellan's book, he started with GM in 1959. I don't remember if he started working in the Corvette group immediately, but he did work for Zora for YEARS before he retired.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The point supposedly was, that Mc Cellan was not prepared to take the job, and there apparently was a lot of inside squabling going on the found it's way into the product release.

Like I said, this guy might have his own version of history. I thought it was interesting.

·
DC Crew
3,723 Posts
biltogo said:
The point supposedly was, that Mc Cellan was not prepared to take the job, and there apparently was a lot of inside squabling going on the found it's way into the product release.

Like I said, this guy might have his own version of history. I thought it was interesting.
I wasn't questioning the guy's comments. And besides, I definitely am familiar with a "glass ceiling".

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm going to see this guy again within the next week. I'll probe him a little bit and try to decipher what's BS and what isn't.

·
Banned
291 Posts
I think i'm inclilned to call bull ****. Zora retired around '75, so he had nothing to do with the '83/'84.

Also, from my reading, yes he wanted control over the Vette, but he would let his people think freely to come up with ways to make the car more powerful and improve the handling.

Its also interesting, that as much credit as Zora gets for the Vette, its was the design staff that created the sexy looks of the shark, while Zora hated it.

Anyways, go read Zora's book. Good reading.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
81 Corvette said:
I think i'm inclilned to call bull ****.
I won't disagree. I'm sure you've met strangers with twisted stories to tell as well. I'm not up on all the Corvette and Zora history so I'll sit on it until I learn more.

·
Banned
291 Posts
biltogo said:
I won't disagree. I'm sure you've met strangers with twisted stories to tell as well. I'm not up on all the Corvette and Zora history so I'll sit on it until I learn more.
Whats this person doing now?

I suppose he could have worked for Zora, but i just can't see how Zora's control freak personality would lead to the '83 not being produced since he retired around 75.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
81 Corvette said:
Whats this person doing now?

I suppose he could have worked for Zora, but i just can't see how Zora's control freak personality would lead to the '83 not being produced since he retired around 75.
He's a plant manager:surprised

1 - 13 of 13 Posts