Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to all!

I am going to be purchasing some new tires in a few months. I have the standard Z51 tires on it now. I only have 11,000 miles on my car and It really sucks they don't last long. Hmmm... maybe it's my female driving?

I know alot of you have already replaced your tires, so I need some advice.

Do I save some money and go with non-run flats (hate to get stuck out in the middle of nowhere). If I do go with run-flats again, is one brand better than another. I'd like a bit of a smoother ride (within reason, I know it's not a Caddilac)! Did anyone out there go with Michelins? What are your thoughts?;)

·
Registered
40 Posts
This experience may provide perspective for your C6.

After 35,000 miles I replaced the GY run-flats on my '99 C5 with Michelin all season ZP (zero pressure).

The Michelin :

1.) Roll over bumps and holes instead of hitting them with a thud like a brick wall;

2.) Are quiet;

3.) Have much improved traction in rain and snow.

However, the GY run-flats on my C6 base suspension are much improved over those on the C5.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I got a few more miles out of my Z51 tires than you (15k) but don't expect much more from them. I went with the GS2's (?-non Z51) and they have lasted a little longer but have less traction.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I bought Goodyear run flat tires, wouldn't want to be stuck anywhere. Great traction, quite? I guess the magna flow exhaust cannot here much else, I have six k on these tires, so far I am very happy, Remember you get what you pay for, thats why you bought the Corvette remember

·
Premium Member
13,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I got a few more miles out of my Z51 tires than you (15k) but don't expect much more from them. I went with the GS2's (?-non Z51) and they have lasted a little longer but have less traction.
How many miles do you have on your GS2's now? Are the Z51 tires really that different from the non-Z51's? Are yours run-flats too? I could probably make it to 15k with these tire but I have a slow leak on my pass front tire. The tires also feel like they are "traveling" all over the place (I hope I said that right). :lookinup:

·
Registered
8 Posts
How many miles do you have on your GS2's now? Are the Z51 tires really that different from the non-Z51's? Are yours run-flats too? I could probably make it to 15k with these tire but I have a slow leak on my pass front tire. The tires also feel like they are "traveling" all over the place (I hope I said that right). :lookinup:
I've been researching tires and found it helpful to go to the tire dealer sites, for example, www.DiscountTire.com. It is easy to pull up information on various tire options for your vettte and read about the different ratings (e.g. wear, traction, temperature) as well as all-season (e.g. better for rain, snow, cold) vs. non-all-season. You can also pull up tires from all manufacturers with similar qualities. The non-Z51 vs. the Z51 in your quote, with respect to Goodyear, is actually the Eagle F1 runflat vs. the Eagle F1 Supercar runflat, respectively. The Supercar is rated for less wear, NOT for cold weather, but better for warm weather handling. So, you need to consider how you plan to dive and in what conditions to make the best choice.

·
Premium Member
13,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've been researching tires and found it helpful to go to the tire dealer sites, for example, www.DiscountTire.com. It is easy to pull up information on various tire options for your vettte and read about the different ratings (e.g. wear, traction, temperature) as well as all-season (e.g. better for rain, snow, cold) vs. non-all-season. You can also pull up tires from all manufacturers with similar qualities. The non-Z51 vs. the Z51 in your quote, with respect to Goodyear, is actually the Eagle F1 runflat vs. the Eagle F1 Supercar runflat, respectively. The Supercar is rated for less wear, NOT for cold weather, but better for warm weather handling. So, you need to consider how you plan to dive and in what conditions to make the best choice.
Thanks for all that info!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
210 Posts
:agree: :laughing:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts