Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright guys heres the deal, i went to start my car this morning and all it does is turn over it will not start at all. I believe it might have something to do with the vats system but im not positive. The car will just sit there and crank, all other electronic functions work, radio, lights, etc. Ive never had a problem like this with car, if anyone can please help me i would really appreciate it. the pellet on my key looks fine, i drove the car to school last night and everything was fine. parked it last night even started it a second time and it was all good. the only thing i did was take an interior light out to get the model number so i can get a new one, could this have trigured something? Finally the security light blinks when you open the door, but stops when you put the key in, and or close the door. I have exams all this week and really need to figure something out asap!! thanks for any replies in advance!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I dont think its the vats system anymore as from what i read the starter wont even engage if it is. My opti was supposedly replaced 10k miles ago by the previous owner. When i purchased the car i replaced the coil, wires, and plugs with msd units, as well as the fuel injectors, and fuel filter bieng replaced. I have gone through all the fuses and none are blown. I cant pull a plug to check for spark as i dont have tools at school. When you insert the key into the ingnition and to the on position you do hear the fuel pump priming itself. Im completely lost as to what this could be!!!!! if anyone has any idea please help as a tow back home is gonna kill my wallet, let alone the parts to get this fixed.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Check the opti plug to make sure the pins are not loose in addition to checking coil module. Both can cause the no start condition you describe. when I get home tonight I can get you some more info on it. typing on the phone sucks.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok i just got back inside from testing, what i did was pull the coil to opti plug from the optis end. (So it was still connected to the coil just not the opti) had a friend crank it for me and no spark. While i was not holding the wire i placed it in a position that would allow me to see the terminal, and no spark. Since my coil was just recently replaced (less then 3k miles) its leading me to believe its a ICM problem? can you back this up for me?

·
Registered
205 Posts
Shot in the dark

This is just what happened to me with my 93. My coil went out and I replaced it. Then my water pump started leaking and shorted my distributor. Replaced those. Then got the cranking, no start. Just happened to move the pig tail to the ignition module as a buddy was cranking it over then it fired. Turned out to be a broken wire in it. No codes ever showed. Again it's just a thought. Sometimes things aren't so complicated. :huh:

Good luck DC bro.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yea my dad is bringing down my stock coil since i saved it, and were going to swap it out tonight in the parking lot. Im hoping this works as like stated before i live off campus and have exams all this week.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Before you replace the coil. check to see if you have spark at the plugs. Start with the basics, air, fuel and spark. Have Dad bring some starting fluid to see if it will start on that so you can see if it is not getting fuel. In your situation I suggest you don't spend your time replacing parts without having done basic diagnostics. You don't want to waste your time chasing your tail.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for all the replies guys, what it ended up being was the coil. Its a shame because it was only 3 months old and had less then 3k miles on it. Ill be contacting MSD for some warranty work. Once the original coil was swapped in she fired right up.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Ill be contacting MSD for some warranty work. Once the original coil was swapped in she fired right up.
MSD do not appear to have the build quality now that they once had that gave them the good name for electronics

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yea i was researching their coils a little further after it was all said and done and it doesnt seem to be so far fetched with them just straight up failing sometimes. I just couldnt believe it didnt give me some kind of warning like a coil normally does like sluggish acceleration etc.

·
Registered
872 Posts
I have personally never had any luck with MSD products on my car but still must say how quickly it failed is far out of the normal. Good to see the issue won't kill your exams schedule.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I know these exams are killing me every professor has to cram one in during the week before thanksgiving break. Automobiles test on monday, Social work test on tuesday, Judicial Process test on weds, Case study report due on Thursday, Friday looks clear. Its killing me only 1 more semester left though and im done!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts