Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a mint 84 vette with only 18k on it. I have been thinking of dropping in a new engine cuz as we all no its slow. my delima is that the car is in great shape and might be worth something some day. do i leave it stock and not drive it or swap the engine and ejoy it now? I was thinking about putting an Ls1 in. would this fit? Any advise would be appriciated.

·
DC Crew
32,974 Posts
It's a great platform for a performance car. Will it be worth something one day? Probably not but even if it is would you rather look at it in the garage untill it is or enjoy it? An ls1 will fit but it is not a bolt in deal. Check out 69myway on this site he is doing something simular to an 85 but you have to have skills to pull it off. I think a good crate motor and your in business.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,963 Posts
Go with a crate stroker 383.Don't even mess with a LS1 .I heard that swap is a major headache

·
Registered
83 Posts
IMO.... I would drive this car!!! Some of our forum members have made performance mods to their '84 models and post very respectable numbers with CFI. With such low mileage you should have a lot of useful life with this car. Enjoy your Corvette!!

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
You can make a crossfire run high 13's like nothing, and low 12's with just added work and cash. Why not keep it, modify it and drive it? With that huge air cleaner we all love, you can hide a lot of mods.....

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the advise guys i think I am going to try and work with the crossfire. does anyone know if i should swap out the heads first or do i need to do throttle bodys first? also there used to be a thread up with a guy who ported the crossfire throttle bodys does anyone know where to find the thread?

·
Registered
428 Posts
One of this big chokeing points on the crossfire is the manifold. I hear there is a very good aftermarket manifold that flows very well.
Remember, do a package, not just one part at a time. If you want it to run real well, do everything to the engine at once, it is cheaper in the long run.
I would do Air cleaner, new injectors in your T Bodies, manifold, heads, cam and a very good short block. 383 is sweet.
But, then your transmission will need a solid refreshing, and then your D36 rearend will need a rebuild or an upgrade to D44. D36's are weak and sure they can last, but they can also break easily.
There are allot of people that hav made a Crossfire run great, pick their minds for information and advice.
Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
http://www.x-ram.com/

Have a read here. You can also port your stock manifold or buy an old Offy or Edelbrock Sy1 Crossram and get a custom top plate machined for it. Regardless, good luck with your project.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts