Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am using Mozilla Firefox and it will not let me go to certain websites. Some websites include www.usedcorvettesforsale.com, www.google.com, gmail.com to name a few. I guess they may have something related. I tried a system restore, disk cleanup, defrag, and more than a few restarts. It all started when I realized I left it on all day (It doesnt have a screen saver or power saving mode on). This is sucking pretty bad. What else can I try besides taking it to someone?

·
Certified Stalker
4,077 Posts
what kind of error do you get when you try to access those sites and what type of firewall/ anti-spy/adware are you using?

·
Registered
7,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
The same error I get as though Im not connected. It says "the connection was refused when attempting to contactact *site name*" and the last time I tried it said "The operation timed out when trying to contact *site name*" I use norton internet security but it as been apparently on the fritz. I do have "spybot search & destory" as well as spyware blaster but they have never done this before and I dont think its so much like they are always on but you have them scan when you want.

btw, AIM doesnt work, and IE seems to have the same problems as mozilla. Also certian parts of some pages take a long time to load. Like the bottom half of DC's main page.

·
Registered
6,158 Posts
C6Nut400 said:
btw, AIM doesnt work, and IE seems to have the same problems as mozilla. Also certian parts of some pages take a long time to load. Like the bottom half of DC's main page.

Sounds like a firewall issue. Maybe unload "norton internet security" and any other firewalls you have one at a time until it starts working.

·
Registered
109 Posts
It could be a firewall issue but it may be your internet connection. Try to ping something and look for packet loss. In case you don't know what I'm talking about open a command window (start > run> cmd). Type ping www.cnn.com. Try several other sites just to get a feel for the results. You should see several pings. At the end of the test, it will tell you if there was any packet loss. If there is, power cycle the box that connects you to the internet. See if that clears things up. Be sure to reboot your computer before you do just to be sure things are in a known state. Try nslookup from the command window. If you get an error most likely you have a internet connection issue. Power cycling may clear that or your ISP is having a problem. If ping doesn't work for you do a tracert (tracert www.cnn.com). It is common to see no response at some hops but you should see a number of hops to the site and the site should resolve to an IP address. Browser cache size can make browsing very slow. Set the size to about 50MB. Hope this helps. PM me if you need more info.

Bill

1 - 5 of 5 Posts