Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about to order some Rims ..and frankly between backspaceing, offsets, calipers hitting and parking brakes needing moved, its a little overwhelming for a guy with my shallow understanding of the wheel...(ironic considering ran a CnC machine for engraving tire molds for 3 years).

What I have = factory slotted aluminum corvette mags 15x8 backspaceing on these ??? off sets ??? there are 70s on them ..yes 70's all the way around ..eeew:thud:

What I want ..just a little more meat on the back by way of a deeper dish look ,im thinking 15x10 or maybe 16x9.5 i just want to fill up my fender without risk of rubbing ..and without moveing my parking brake or useing spacers.
would like to stay 15x8 or go 16x8 in the front

My questions are ..whats the factory backspacing on the 15x8's that came on these cars ?
Am I correct in assuming if I use that backspaceing on a 15x10 or 16x9.5 i will have the same clearances on the backside of the tire and no issues at all?
Would a 15x10 most likely stick out beyond the fender with a 60 or 55 on it useing the factory backspace?

Also im thinking 60s all the way around ..mybe 50 or 55 in the back?? anyone see any issues i could have with these?:huh:

·
Caution - Do Not Remove
93 Posts
wheels/ tires

I just went thru this nightmare myself. If you dont buy rims specifically designed for a C-3, you will encounter problems with offset. (back side of wheel will not clear the disc caliper). You can over come this by using wheel spacers, and longer lug bolts. I had to use a 1/4 spacer and 2 inchs lug bolts, but i got the look i wanted. Sure its a PITA, but to me the results were worth it. Another thing you may want to consider is the front wheel clearence while turning. Ive read about people using wider tires with our year cars and experincing scrubbing while turning. Good Luck hope this helps some at least!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Do I understand correctly that if my backspace is the same as what i use now i will have the exact same clearances for the caliper/ parking brake regardless of width?

I guess im assumeing with the same backspace all the extra width goes on the other side of the rim ..to the outside of the car.. im really not looking to go extreme on my wheels i been leaning hardest to a 16x9.5 in the back and 16x8 in the front...but im not sure of my stock backspaceing ..or if putting that backspaceing on a 16x9.5 if i will remain exactly the same on clearances in the back side..?:lookinup:

·
Caution - Do Not Remove
93 Posts
tires wheels

I am by no means and expert on this , but I would assume if you stay with the same backspacing you should be ok, as far as brake clearance. A really good shop that specializes in custom rims and tires should be able to provide you with the correct mesurements and answer any questions you have.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
so whats the factory backspace on 78 mags ? and anyone figured out the max backspace is before you have to start moveing stuff?

worst case i guess i can go pull one off and measure lol

·
Registered
339 Posts
heres an example for you: I run Centerline Outlaws 15x8 front and rear 4 inch backspacing with a .500 spacer, tires are 235/60/15 front 265/50/15 rear no rubbing and tires are even with the wheel well like stock would be.

You should be able to go as wide as 295/50/15 on the rear with no issues and 255 in the front

Finding aftermarket wheels for these cars is a [email protected]#!H most wheels produced nowadays aremade for front wheel drives and SUV's/Trucks that have similiar bolt patterns but have f-d up back spacing and will require adaptors or spacers.

There are a few companies that make wheels that fit but you will see these on almost every Vette you see (Torque thrust , Cragar ect)

Been looking for something different myself and have found that the best solution for something different is to go one off but then you pay some serious $$$ for the wheels

But what your shooting for is a back spacing of around 4.5 too 4.50 inches

1 - 7 of 7 Posts