Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
21 - 40 of 44 Posts

· DC Crew
3,685 Posts
BIG LAW MAN said:
Find me a die cast model of my car! I have been looking for someone that makes a 1:18 scale replica of my 2002 Electron Blue Z06. Well it turns out the big die cast maker Maisto made an EB Z06 EXCLUSIVELY for Target stores. You cant find this car anywhere else. I have been to MANY MANY Targets in my area and ZERO luck. If you would be so kind to help me while your there picking up whatever else you need, just trot over to the toy section and look for the car. I will pay you the cost of the car and shipping costs of course. If they have more than one, I will take them all.
It comes in a black box with clear plastic top to see the car. The car is 1:18 scale, approximately 8 inches long. It says Special Edition Corvette Z06 on the front and it is obviously blue in color. I think they cost between $10-15 dollars.

MUCH THANKS IN ADVANCE!!!

P.S. I posted this request over in the CF but I know my loyal die hard DC guys/gals can find these first!!!
:excited:
FOUND ONE!!!!!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3114290792&category=2509

Hurry! You have 5 days. The bid is @ $40 now. Good Luck!!! :partyon:

· Registered
663 Posts
Re: Re: I NEED YOUR HELP!! Go to your local Target and....

bkuper said:
FOUND ONE!!!!!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3114290792&category=2509
Hurry! You have 5 days. The bid is @ $40 now. Good Luck!!! :partyon:
Nice work Brian! You managed to locate something that the manufacturer swears doesn't exisit. :thumbsup:

I'm emailing the link as well as the photo to the lady I spoke with at Maisto so that no one else who wants one of these gets mislead.

Ray

G

·
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Ray, I really cant say how much I appreciate you doing all of that footwork on my behalf. I can assure you they exist. In fact I found out the car is actually a 2001 Z06 that is painted Electron Blue.:surprised I found this all out from the two guys that have sold these cars on Ebay. Bkuper as located (and I appreciate the effort) a car that I knew existed. The unfortunate thing is that the last one that sold on Ebay ended at $130!!! I refuse to pay that much, in fact, I wouldnt pay more than $50 for one, and that is pushing it!

Its unfortunate that the demand is so high for these cars and the supply is so non existent!

If I was able to get my hands on a bunch of these, I would keep one and hand them out to all the countless other people I know that are looking for them, without charging them $130!!!

Ray, if you can track a bunch down I know of quite a few people that are looking!!

Thank you all for your diligent efforts!!:thumbsup:

· DC Pit Crew
10,563 Posts
hey me and strega checked out the two Targets here in Lexington and no luck :( i'll check columbus when i get home sometime may be in march

· Registered
663 Posts
BIG LAW MAN said:
Ray, for what its worth, the UPC number on the box is 90159 31889
Okay, great, that gives me something concrete to work with.

Before I had to go back east for a network deployment I emailed the eBay image to the nice lady at Maisto and to the person at Target who thought I was some kind of a nut, to prove to them that no matter what their records indicated, the car exists. Now finding out that it is really a 2001 painted EB lends credence to the Maisto assertion that they produced no 2002 cars. So it was labeled as a 2001 but painted with the 2002 color.

Both will be interested in the UPC number because that's how they can track inventory. Not all of them may have been sold. Target returns unsold merchadise to Maisto after a certain period of no sale and Maisto reinventories them. And Target can use the number to literally find one anywhere in America and have it shipped to your local store.

I will work on that on Monday morning. I agree that $130 is a bit much. $50 is conscionable (it's what the Chevy dealer was charging). Is it possible the seller is using shills to drive up the bid? Does it have a reserve? Maybe wait and watch the eBay listing and see if someone really has to have it for $130. If not the bid will start over.

If I can help you find this I'll feel good because I like to solve problems. And you'll feel good because you get a model of your Z06. And that's a Win-Win. :thumbsup: Hang in there, if it's out there we will find it.

Ray

G

·
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Thanks Ray! Im still hoping to find one somewhere.

I have been tracking the last and only 4 eBay auctions I have seen these cars in. 1st one ended at $130, the next two were both over $110 and the last one ended somewhere in the $90's if memory serves me. UNREAL!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
No. I asked both Maisto and Target that when I emailed them and was never given a response. I wanted to know the release date and approximate production numbers, but got no response.

· Registered
663 Posts
BIG LAW MAN said:
No. I asked both Maisto and Target that when I emailed them and was never given a response. I wanted to know the release date and approximate production numbers, but got no response.
Well at least now I understand why the auction frenzy. The box says "2001" but the car is Electron Blue, a color not offered on the Z06 until 2002. So what makes this particular one prized among "collectors" is that simple fact. It's kind of like the airmail stamp that's worth a gillion dollars because the airplane is upside-down. There is nothing intrinsically valuable about the stamp. It commands that price because it's an oddity and it's rare. The question is, despite the fact that the model you seek is an "oddity", is it truly rare?

The guys bidding up the price probably don't own an Electron Blue Z06, they just want to collect the model.

Ray

· Registered
663 Posts
1:24 Scale 2002 EB Z06

I found a dealer selling a Maisto 1:24 scale model of a 2002 Electron Blue Z06, which comes in a set with a Chevy Silverado pickup (Electron Blue) and a trailer. Part number is MAI-32933 and it costs $16.95.

http://www.ashevillediecast.com/products/MAI-32933.html

I know, I just listed that as a fall-back.

I also discovered that the part number 90159 31889 does not differentiate between colors. i.e., no matter what color the car, it has the same part number. Individual collectibles dealers add a suffix to the part number (e.g., YLW, SLV, BLK, RED, or in some case just B, R, Y, S) in order to fill requests for specific colors.

Still workin' this.

Ray

· Registered
663 Posts
Maisto Position on Electron Blue Z06

After an extensive dialog, both on the phone and via email, I have discovered that Maisto will not sell this item to any entity except a Target store, and that they are still accepting orders from Target stores for the product. It is still in production.

According to Maisto customer service, if you go to a Target store and ask the "Toy Manager" to order one they will ship it (personally, I would try the Store Manager). You can escalate to the Obergruppenfuhrer fur Spielwaren if all else fails.

I asked the obvious question, to wit, "How does the Target Toy Manager identify the Blue Corvette Z06?". They either do not know (I'm still working on getting to someone who does know), or are reluctant to say because they are very much aware of the bidding on eBay. They mentioned that to me, I didn't say a word about eBay. According to them, "selfish people are going into Target Stores and buying every Blue Z06 and selling them on eBay for three times what they paid for them". I didn't mention that even with my rusty arithmetic skills I could figure out that $130 is more than three times the $24.95 MSRP for the car. I didn't want to confuse them or alienate them.

So, it appears there is good news and bad news. The good news is that Target can still order them, the bad news is that I have not yet found the magic number that Target uses to identify this particular item from the garden variety Maisto Z06.

Ray

G

·
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Ray, I am astonished at your perserverance! I had given up hope long ago.

I think it will be almost impossible to special order just the blue one because they are not differentiated from the other colors at least based on the UPC. I fear it is a totally random selection that gets sent to Target. Therefore I think one would have to order an entire case of them just to get one or more blue ones. Kinda like the old days of baseball card collecting!

As far as the ashvillediecast.com car with the Silverado.....I already have that car and it is no where near Electron Blue in color. It is a Nassau blue color actually, but hey its at least BLUE!

Thanks again for your continued efforts!:)

· Registered
663 Posts
BIG LAW MAN said:
I fear it is a totally random selection that gets sent to Target.
That's what I'm thinking. That's why no one at Maisto could tell me what Target had to put on the order form to get EB.

However, since they are still in production, a check of the Target toy department every now and then might not be a bad idea. I've been to my local Target so many times they think I'm casing the joint for a 211. Or was that a 459?

If I do find them, not only will I buy you one, I'm going to get one for myself and bronze the damned thing.:D

You know, it just dawned on me that the best way to find out when they come in is to grease the wheels. You know what I mean? I'll give the Toy Manager my business card and half of a twenty. Blue Z06 comes in, he calls me. I come in, he gives me the EB Z06 and I give him the other half of the twenty. Win-win. :thumbsup:

Ray

21 - 40 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.