Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
12,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
WTF do I get a 180 degree for the LT1 engine in the manufacturer flow design/ long neck mofo?
All I can find are SBC style from Summit, Mid America, Hypertech and the likes....
I need one asap or I'm gonna hafta vent drill a brass 180 and seal it up...
Heeeeeellllllllp........?:huh:

·
Banned
12,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm good.
Dealership said they only had 190 over the phone and I stopped by to make sure and they had 180s.:WTF

Not all brass or stainless, but it'll work....

·
Registered
111 Posts
I'm surprised that one of your local auto parts stores that carry Mr. Gasket performance parts didn't have the high flow (race they call it) brass 180* model.

http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_10001_10002_14122_-1
Mr. Gasket 4364 - Mr. Gasket Hi-Flow Thermostats

These high performance thermostats are designed to resist large variations in coolant pressures that occur at high RPM's where coolant temperature and coolant pressure fight for control of the thermostat keeping it from opening at it's designated temperature. The balanced HP Thermostat features all brass and copper construction, and opens at the right temperature regardless of engine RPM.

·
Banned
12,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm surprised that one of your local auto parts stores that carry Mr. Gasket performance parts didn't have the high flow (race they call it) brass 180* model.

http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_10001_10002_14122_-1
Mr. Gasket 4364 - Mr. Gasket Hi-Flow Thermostats

These high performance thermostats are designed to resist large variations in coolant pressures that occur at high RPM's where coolant temperature and coolant pressure fight for control of the thermostat keeping it from opening at it's designated temperature. The balanced HP Thermostat features all brass and copper construction, and opens at the right temperature regardless of engine RPM.
I was under the impression that SBC thermostats would no work in the LT1 water pump without causing problems...
I have, like, 9 Mr Gasket, and Hypertech therms in the SBC config...

·
Registered
74 Posts
I was under the impression that SBC thermostats would no work in the LT1 water pump without causing problems...
I have, like, 9 Mr Gasket, and Hypertech therms in the SBC config...
You are correct. Do not use a standard SBC stat in the LT1. I have a 180 Hypertech in mine and got it at Jegs. I'll see if I can dig up the part number for you.

Hypertech part# 1008. Now, can I spend the night with that girl in your avatar? :D

·
Registered
111 Posts
Sorry for the error in information!
I have an '88 L98 and I was not aware of the thermostat incompatibility for the LT1 vs L98 thermostats.
:thud:

Glad someone in the know jumped in with the right info!

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
441 Posts
You are correct. Do not use a standard SBC stat in the LT1. I have a 180 Hypertech in mine and got it at Jegs. I'll see if I can dig up the part number for you.

Hypertech part# 1008. Now, can I spend the night with that girl in your avatar? :D
The Hypertech #1008 is the 160 degree LT1 stat.....all the better anyway ....that's all I ever run is the 160's.................PS: I can't even tell ya how many people's Vette's I've worked on that had the regular SBC thermostats in them(yep, they caused cooling issues:D )....so many people don't know that there different for the LT1/LT4 engines........Joe:thumbsup:

·
Banned
12,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the replies.
I still popped 6 holes in the 180, and the temps seem to be working out to be a 170-175 setup.
65 degree ambient air and 177 digital numbers at freeway speeds.

I dont understand the whole: 160 degree tstat subject matter will make your car run like crap....
If your car is gonna run closed loop and run fine daily during warmup till open loop, then your car should not run bad.
Fuel economics and oil issues aside... the car should still run fine.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts