Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the stock tubing is all ribbed and not straight so i imagine putting something straight and not rippled, it will give better air flow. anyone know some good after market throttle body inlet hoses for a 1995? i dont want something from home depot or anything, i want something really for my car. cuz i want it to be easy to install, something is going to hook up easy to the throttle body itself and the MAF...any ideas guys???
advice is much appreciated:partyon:

·
Registered
292 Posts
There is a smooth part sold but I wouldn't waste your money. Some people use the smooth hose for a show car because it's easier to clean. I have see turbo guys at the track test smooth vs rippled hose for no gain at all. This is a for looks mod only. The smooth hose for my year is $50!!! :laughing:

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
Yep, the corrugated hose is there to absorb vibrations and forces from the engine. For ever action, there's that opposite and equal reaction. With a solid hose, something else will have to absorb the vibrations.

I'm just from the old school that taught me that (for the most part) the engineers that design cars know better than some outfit that likes to sell do-dads.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Sent PM:thumbsup:

·
Registered
322 Posts
Both of the smooth ducts I've seen split at the glue seam. Of course the seam is at the bottom so it won't show, and the split goes unnoticed, dumping unmetered, dirty air in the motor.

The accordian duct is not as bad as you think it is. The air doesn't follow the ripples. Stagnant air fills those ribs and the incoming air mostly runs over the top of it.

This is the same reason those little vortex tb spacers do nothing. The air doesn't follow the ribs.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Both of the smooth ducts I've seen split at the glue seam. Of course the seam is at the bottom so it won't show, and the split goes unnoticed, dumping unmetered, dirty air in the motor.
Not wanting to go off topic, but would the SAMCO ducts be among those two ducts you are referring to?

·
Registered
322 Posts
No, these were rubber ones from the Ecklers/MidAm catalogs. The Samcos are manufactured differently and are quality. Never seen on for a L98 though.

Only problem I'd have with those is it's much more rigid than stock and could result in stressing the maf or pulling the induction fasteners loose since it can't isolate the engine vibration as well.

·
Registered
61 Posts
the stock tubing is all ribbed and not straight so i imagine putting something straight and not rippled, it will give better air flow. anyone know some good after market throttle body inlet hoses for a 1995? i dont want something from home depot or anything, i want something really for my car. cuz i want it to be easy to install, something is going to hook up easy to the throttle body itself and the MAF...any ideas guys???
advice is much appreciated:partyon:
I bought mine in the plumbing section of home depot for around $6.
It's a rubber reducer. 4" to 3" I believe. It works great!

·
Registered
213 Posts
No, these were rubber ones from the Ecklers/MidAm catalogs. The Samcos are manufactured differently and are quality. Never seen on for a L98 though.

Only problem I'd have with those is it's much more rigid than stock and could result in stressing the maf or pulling the induction fasteners loose since it can't isolate the engine vibration as well.
Thanks. :cheers:

I've had a SAMCO duct for an L98 on the shelf for several years, I'd need to trim it down to fit with my SR and for what I paid I'm doing that not considering I'm not sure I'm staying with the SR. :huh:

I had to special order it from SAMCO years ago. They make/made them for the LT5 and L98 only - the L98 model could fit an LT1 but you'd either need to make a hole for the IAT sensor on 92-94 models (or relocate the IAT).

It wouldn't suit the original posters application as the MAF cars weren't catered to by SAMCO. Because I've never fitted it I couldn't provide any feedback on whether it's added rigidity is an issue in actual use.

Apologies for the mild hijack. :cheers:

·
Registered
292 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts