Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
According to my wife, I've spent enough money on the Vette for a while. And for now, I have a stockpile of parts that will be installed when spring time rolls around. So for now, I was thinking of polishing the A/C lines, A/C tank, control arms, and other aluminum parts under the hood. I was going to sand and polish the TPI and runners, but I'll leave that to a professional to do, next winter.

What do I need, and what is the step by step process to polishing aluminum parts?

I read that some people use 0000 grit steel wool and simple green, some people say scotchbrite, and the use of sand paper, and aluminum polish. I'm confused.

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
5,206 Posts
I myself have polished the aluminum parts under the hood and suspension parts and half shafts. All these parts I did not remove.

I used aluminum wheel cleaner and a plastic tire brush and a squirt bottle of water to rinse as you go (don't let the wheel clearner dry or it will stain the alluminum) I bought a bag of rags and used them to dry the piece after rinsing. When I got done cleaning, I used a 0000 scotchbrite pad and Mother's Alluminum polish to rub out the really bad spots, then used Mothers and a cotton T-shirt to hand polish to a very shiny finish. If you work it long enough it will shine like chrome but I would say it falls a little short to call it show chrome but at almost no cost and lots of sweat its really turns out nice:thumbsup:

When I was done polishing I would spray the finished parts with a tire protectant or Adams under carrage spray (to prevent oxidation)

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
If you are going to use anything other than water don't let it get on the fiberglass spring when doing susp components

·
Registered
118 Posts
I use busch super shine aluminun polish. works great & the more the rub the brighter the aluminum looks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts