Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
DC Crew
53,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not happy anymore about bolting it in. I haven't tried, but I don't think it'll be strong enough for me.

Anyone in my area have a handy welding setup? Just need to run a few beads.

Thanks!
:thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,027 Posts
I have a small 110v MIG welder that uses Flux Core, but I do have the attachments for using gas.

One thing to keep in mind, the duty cycle is very low.

As far as bolting it in, if you use some Grade 8 fasters, you should have plenty of strength.

Either way, let me know. I'm hoping to have the Bonneville on the road this weekend and can drop the welder off for you since you are just up the road from the base.

·
DC Crew
53,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
BubbleHead said:
I have a small 110v MIG welder that uses Flux Core, but I do have the attachments for using gas.

One thing to keep in mind, the duty cycle is very low.

As far as bolting it in, if you use some Grade 8 fasters, you should have plenty of strength.

Either way, let me know. I'm hoping to have the Bonneville on the road this weekend and can drop the welder off for you since you are just up the road from the base.
Tim, that'd be great. I have no idea what "duty cycle" and "flux core" are. Everything is ready to go for welding, I just need someone to weld. Any chance you'd want to hang for an hour and do it with me? I'd like to learn....

Thanks!
Patrick

·
Registered
3,027 Posts
I'm not the best welder and would be a little worried about doing the welding. If you want, I can get in touch with a friend that has my "real" 220V welder. He's a professional welder and could probably do it for you. His welds are works of art.

·
DC Crew
53,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
BubbleHead said:
I'm not the best welder and would be a little worried about doing the welding. If you want, I can get in touch with a friend that has my "real" 220V welder. He's a professional welder and could probably do it for you. His welds are works of art.
Hook us up....

·
DC Crew
53,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
-=Jeff=- said:
I would bolt it in first then weld it..

make sure it is just how you want it
The holes are there, the bar is in dead-on perfectly, just need someone to weld...

Can you weld Jeff?:laughing:

·
Registered
3,027 Posts
Patrick96LT4 said:
Hook us up....
I'll try and get ahold of him this weekend. He lives down in Joilet so, we should shoot for a weekend.

I'll find out how much we will charge for it, which shouldn't be much since he has/uses my equipment. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
35 Posts
Patrick96LT4 said:
Tim, that'd be great. I have no idea what "duty cycle" and "flux core" are.
Patrick
Hey patrick.

Duty Cycle is a welding spec for the number of minutes in a 10 minute time period that the welder can be in use or welding.
A 100% would be 10 minutes of course, 20% would be 2 minutes and so on. Having a higher duty cycle of course is better when you are going to be doing a lot of welding, but for plate tacking and small bead projects a low duty cycle is no big deal. If you are
paying someone to weld for you at an hourly basis then of course it might matter more.

Flux core: There are two main types of mig welding wire. One of the best quick setups is flux core. It doesn't take any kind of map gas to protect the flame. Flux core tends to make a slighly messier weld and gives off a lot of smoke during the welding process. Its much better suited for welding in open areas with lots of ventilation. It can be used for what you are attempting, but unless you have the entire interior out of your car, I would recommend a welder with a gas hookup for any welding inside the car. Again I don't don't know your situation, so either may work for you. If you are going to be doing this inside a garage or shop, please make sure you have a really large fan to move the smoke out of the vehicle and plenty of welding blankets spread around the welding area and protecting the dash. There will be a LOT of splatter with flux core wire based welding.

Later,

Paul :thumbsup:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts