Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that I have the back end apperantly in place, I was starting to root around the engine compartment following some wires around.

I realized that I did not know what all of the parts tacked onto the side of the engine department were. I also am a bit leery of messing with some of them. :p

I have a fairly good idea for some of them, but odds were I would have gotten a few wrong. So, I decided to take pictures of what I wasn't positive of, and you smart folks would treat it like a little game. :p

• Item 1 - About the center of the bulkhead. It's a vacuume thing, it has a tube going to each wiper. I'm trying to tell what it is on my vacuum diagrams so I can tell what the missing hose would connect to. Is it just another side of the motor?
  • Item 2 - Under Item 1. is that the wiper motor?
  • Item 3 - On the bulkhead, right against the driver fender, next to the hood latch stuff. No clue on this one.
  • Item 4 - Drivers side, connected to a bunch of wires from the headlight area.
  • Item 5 - Drivers side, just behind Item 4. Not sure on this one, but it has very scary wiring.
  • Item 6 - clamped to the front of the engine, just behind the fan. One tube to the Carb, the other goes to the gas tank, I believe.
  • Item 7 - attached to the distributor.
  • Item 8 - bolted to the pass lower engine. One tube appears to go to the tank, one to Item 6
  • Item 9 & 10 - Pass side. Think there is something missing in the part I didn't get a good angle of. Kind of a big hole on the backside of the metal block that looks like something should be connected there.
  • Item 11 - pass side, just ahead of 9/10. Gary told me what this was, and that it was an extra addon I didn't need, forgot what it was.
  • Item 12 - These things are on the Pass side, bit below 9/10.
  • Item 13 - under the Wiper Door Actuator
  • and as an added bonus, the mystery gunk that apperantly has a diet of coat hangers. :laughing:

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Item 1 sounds like the window washer tubes to me. Tube going to the wipers, should have a rubber hose coming off each one also and making its way back to the wiper washer pump.
And the missing tube would go to the missing washer bag then, eh? :p

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
Now that I have the back end apperantly in place, I was starting to root around the engine compartment following some wires around.

I realized that I did not know what all of the parts tacked onto the side of the engine department were. I also am a bit leery of messing with some of them. :p

I have a fairly good idea for some of them, but odds were I would have gotten a few wrong. So, I decided to take pictures of what I wasn't positive of, and you smart folks would treat it like a little game. :p

• Item 1 - About the center of the bulkhead. It's a vacuume thing, it has a tube going to each wiper. I'm trying to tell what it is on my vacuum diagrams so I can tell what the missing hose would connect to. Washer pump. 1 hose to each wiper, one to reservoir.Is it just another side of the motor?
  • Item 2 - Under Item 1. is that the wiper motor?Yep
  • Item 3 - On the bulkhead, right against the driver fender, next to the hood latch stuff. No clue on this one.Looks like a circuit breaker. Probably headlights
  • Item 4 - Drivers side, connected to a bunch of wires from the headlight area.Voltage regulator
  • Item 5 - Drivers side, just behind Item 4. Not sure on this one, but it has very scary wiring.Horn relay?
  • Item 6 - clamped to the front of the engine, just behind the fan. One tube to the Carb, the other goes to the gas tank, I believe.Fuel filter
  • Item 7 - attached to the distributor.Vacuum advance
  • Item 8 - bolted to the pass lower engine. One tube appears to go to the tank, one to Item 6Fuel pump
  • Item 9 & 10 - Pass side. Think there is something missing in the part I didn't get a good angle of. Kind of a big hole on the backside of the metal block that looks like something should be connected there.A/C lines where they bolt to compressor. #10 is reciever/dryer
  • Item 11 - pass side, just ahead of 9/10. Gary told me what this was, and that it was an extra addon I didn't need, forgot what it was.Dunno
  • Item 12 - These things are on the Pass side, bit below 9/10.Expansion valve. More a/c stuff
  • Item 13 - under the Wiper Door ActuatorDunno
  • and as an added bonus, the mystery gunk that apperantly has a diet of coat hangers. :laughing:
Maybe the insulation on the evaporator

·
Registered
738 Posts

• Item 1 - About the center of the bulkhead. It's a vacuume thing, it has a tube going to each wiper. I'm trying to tell what it is on my vacuum diagrams so I can tell what the missing hose would connect to. Is it just another side of the motor?
  • Item 2 - Under Item 1. is that the wiper motor?
  • Item 3 - On the bulkhead, right against the driver fender, next to the hood latch stuff. No clue on this one.
  • Item 4 - Drivers side, connected to a bunch of wires from the headlight area.
  • Item 5 - Drivers side, just behind Item 4. Not sure on this one, but it has very scary wiring.
  • Item 6 - clamped to the front of the engine, just behind the fan. One tube to the Carb, the other goes to the gas tank, I believe.
  • Item 7 - attached to the distributor.
  • Item 8 - bolted to the pass lower engine. One tube appears to go to the tank, one to Item 6
  • Item 9 & 10 - Pass side. Think there is something missing in the part I didn't get a good angle of. Kind of a big hole on the backside of the metal block that looks like something should be connected there.
  • Item 11 - pass side, just ahead of 9/10. Gary told me what this was, and that it was an extra addon I didn't need, forgot what it was. TCS Solenoid
  • Item 12 - These things are on the Pass side, bit below 9/10.
  • Item 13 - under the Wiper Door Actuator Hi Blo relay for blower
  • and as an added bonus, the mystery gunk that apperantly has a diet of coat hangers. Ancient sealer on the AC system :laughing:
got the ones BB missed

·
Registered
910 Posts
Nvts

The original TCS solenoids are fairly valuable to the restore crowd. Only repos are available.

So don't throw it away.:D

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys. :partyon: I now have a baseline and can start understanding how this stuff all works in this car. The harder part will be trying to figure out whats all missing, I bet. :p

I have a fairly ok book knowledge base of how all those parts work, except the AC stuff. Never really delved into the nitty gritty of how that works.

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
Thanks guys. :partyon: I now have a baseline and can start understanding how this stuff all works in this car. The harder part will be trying to figure out whats all missing, I bet. :p

I have a fairly ok book knowledge base of how all those parts work, except the AC stuff. Never really delved into the nitty gritty of how that works.
328684098788r8634847787987479o74797974984779878349684698-010752 aka Noonie is our resident A/C guru.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
  • Item 11 - pass side, just ahead of 9/10. Gary told me what this was, and that it was an extra addon I didn't need, forgot what it was. TCS Solenoid
got the ones BB missed
If I understand correctly, TCS was only on 70-74's?

·
Banned
1,873 Posts
Item 11 is an electric wiper fluid pump, not the tcs solenoid. That's what he meant w/ addition, an additional pump instead of the (broken?) mkechanical piston pump (the white head on your wiper motor)

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
Item 11 is an electric wiper fluid pump, not the tcs solenoid. That's what he meant w/ addition, an additional pump instead of the (broken?) mkechanical piston pump (the white head on your wiper motor)
Sell it to Noonie . It's very rare.:laughing: :laughing:

·
Banned
3,855 Posts
I'm sure you are aware you have lotsa work under there to clean it up....

it's going to take a while, I recommend starting in winter, if you can stand the cold, and go from there....about a months worth of work 2 hrs in evenings...occational Sat/Sun.....

very remnicient of when I got my '72.....

·
Registered
738 Posts
OK, so its a washer pump instead of a TCS solenoid, not the first or last time I'll post some BS to lead someone astray! But I generally to put up good info.
Back off the macro button on the camera and post some more pics of the engine bay so we can get some perspective.

Welcome to the forum

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have a few pictures :laughing:

Rear Rear2 Side Side Front Bracket

Took some of the carb too, I bet it has issues too. I know it's missing a couple hoses (the one from the valve cover, and the one in pic5 I know of), though I haven't looked into it much. I don't think it's the right one, though I have not looked into it in depth yet.

1 2 3 4 5 6

If anyone spots things I missed on my ToDo list that I added to my intro, let me know ;)

·
Registered
910 Posts
Sell it to Noonie . It's very rare.:laughing: :laughing:
I'm so interested in it that I didn't even look at the pic. :laughing:

I gave up on all that NCRS stuff back in the early 70's.
It's only good to fill up boxes and space to me. Someday I'll have to clean house and attack ebay.:D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts