Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the process of redueing my interior and I hit a snag and was looking for suggestions. While removing the seat belts. I found the torx head bolts stripped. I can't seem to get a good grip with a pair of vise grips and was wondering if my only option was to drill the bolts out?

·
Registered
205 Posts
See if you can tac weld a nut to the top of your bolt. Then you can get it out with an open end wrench. If no welder hit the local mufler shop. Only tac two sides so the wrench can grab on the other unharmed edges.

Any time I run across those torx I replace them with the same size regular bolt.

I too am in the prosses of redoing all the interior in my 93 from tan to mostly black. :cheers:

·
Registered
292 Posts
Do you mean those large torx bolts that hold the belts on, in the middle of the car where they go into the tunnel? I removed those to add a five point harness and they are tough bolts. Drilling is going to be a chore. I used a large electric impact (500 ft/lbs torque IIRC) and it turned them out.

If I had to remove them I think I would cut them off flush in the tunnel and drill from the back.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts