Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
DC Crew
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,
I can't believe my luck!
Some of you may already know that I've been fighting an overheating issue with my Vette now for well over a year after doing some minor upgrades on the car after the Hot Rod Power Tour.
I've been fighting this problem now and just couldn't find the answer no matter who I asked around the world. Nothing I tried helped. New pumps, extra fans, timing, carb adjustments, thermostats, in, out, restrictors, on and on.
Well, Thursday evening I found a piece of pipe which had been installed inside the rubber hoses to prevent them from sucking closed when they got hot, had slipped and turned sidways, thereby creating a blocked passage in a small section of hose hidden up inside the body's duel rollbar carge area. This had been done in an attempt at correcting a problem due to the unique system I've got on my Vette with the twin radiators in the back.
Friday, I took the Vette out for a test drive and FINALLY it did not overheat. I was so very happy on the way back home.
Of course I had to 'step on it' just a bit to celebrate, and that's when it happened! That sudden, dreaded tap-tap-tap sound.:thud:
Once home, I found that 2 solid roller lifters had broken to pieces. :WTF
This morning, after the engine builder came over and we pulled the blower/intake off we found 2 more had the attachment bar broken and 4 more that they had installed the link upside down on, thus slightly turning the lifter in the bore so it ran sideways on the cam, placing extreme side loads on the lifter body...and not doing the new Comp solid roller cam any good either I might add.:spanked:
The good news is that the engine builder will be buying a new cam and set of lifters. :nuts: That's a bunch of money I just didn't have to spend...again!
Here are a couple of photos to go with this warning about double checking the mark on the attachment link on roller lifters. Glenn

·
Premium Member
11,627 Posts
Well that sucks. But you did correct your overheating problem, and the engine builder is picking up the tab on the engine damage. Life is good.:laughing:

·
DC Crew
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well that sucks. But you did correct your overheating problem, and the engine builder is picking up the tab on the engine damage. Life is good.:laughing:
Thanks, Bob. But that's a hell of a price to pay for 8 minuets of good driving.
Really, I'm very thankful this happened BEFORE I got to go back to Orlando
Speed World for a few more full power passes on the strip. Can you imagine the carnage at full throttle when they let go? Glenn:thud:

·
Premium Member
11,627 Posts
Thanks, Bob. But that's a hell of a price to pay for 8 minuets of good driving.
Really, I'm very thankful this happened BEFORE I got to go back to Orlando
Speed World for a few more full power passes on the strip. Can you imagine the carnage at full throttle when they let go? Glenn:thud:

A tear down every 8 minutes:laughing: that would'nt be good. And having that happen at full throttle:thud: that would definately not be good.:laughing:

·
Premium Member
17,444 Posts
Well look at the bright side. 8 min is an eternity compared to the 4.5 sec of a funny car...:rolling:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts