Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Official Forklift Driver
7,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my 87 running decent again with a new IAC last week. I had a few days to enjoy it before another problem popped up. :( I has sitting at a stop light and I heard a couple of coughs come from the engine. My eyes went straight to the DIC. No codes popped up so off I went when the light turned green. Thats when I heard the sound of a Harley taking off right next to me. I'm looking side to side, in the mirrors and I don't see a bike anywhere. I let off the gas and the sound is gone. I get back on it and there it is again, OH CRAP that's ME! :surprised

I get it home and I'm checking everything I could. I did IAC reset, TPS re-adjust, checked the timing, reset idle, crimped the #8 boot more to make a more solid connection, checked fuel pressure, the resistance on the injectors, the MAF and the air filter, the problem still exists. Finally I checked the resistance on the plug wires.

That's when I noticed the #6 wire was cracking and crumbling away showing the braid. I have those Taylor boot covers and the header burned right through it. The boots are good up to 1200 degrees. How hot do coated headers get?

I turned the boot cover around so that the unburned side was facing the header and took it out for a ride. The problem was gone! :cool: I ordered new wires last night. :thumbsup:

I did notice one other thing. I also messed with the TV adjuster and made it so the trans will shift at the highesr rpm's it will let it. The trans was shifting at 5600 rpm's and I still felt a little pull when it was shifting. I don't know if it was my imagination or what but DAMN I gotta get on a dyno! :smokin:

If your vette starts to sound like a Harley, check your wires. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Happened to me 2 years ago.The factory looms were brittle and one of them just broke apart causing the insulation on one of my wires to burn up on the exhaust manifold. New wires and new looms, never had the problem again.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts