Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If your door lock is jamming or sticking and won't unlock which I have seen to be a common problem with our C3s, check one thing before you go buy a new lock mechanism.

Last year, I changed my door handle and during the horrible process, I mis-adjusted the linkage from the door handle to the door lock mechanism.

What this did was put a very slight load on the level on the mechamism that the linkage attaches two. This is the lever on the lock mechanism that when you push the door handle it opens the door. If you misadjust one way it apparently messes with the lock the other way and the door handle will not open the door.

If there is a load on the lever, it interferes with the lock unlocking. After many hours of working, I figured it out. It may have been common knowledge, but I want to post it here just in case someone uses search and finds it and it helps them.

On a side note, I learned a much easier way to work on the door handle to remove it. This is real important for us that have the annoying theft guard plastic piece. I plan on posting the entire procedure very soon.

jim

·
Registered
978 Posts
Cool info. Im currently in the process of trying to get my door locks to work. I have a 1980 that originally had power locks. The actuators were dead so I pulled them out last week. However, the lock on the driver side still will not work manually. Occasionally it does lock, but then wont unlock. Also, the drivers door latch has been sticking real bad. The passenger door lock does lock manually, but it picks and chooses when it wants to unlock.:down:

subd for some good information!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts