Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am running a stock distributer on my 88, and I just received the Accel HEI Super Coil that I ordered. It's the gray coil that sits on top of the distributer (45K volts). I also received my accel plenum extension for that nice clean look. My question is, do I need to change the GM control module or any other part under the distributer cap?

On another note, this is my first post for the New Year, here's to a happy, healthy and wealthy 2011!!! :cheers:

·
Premium Member
2,106 Posts
I am running a stock distributer on my 88, and I just received the Accel HEI Super Coil that I ordered. It's the gray coil that sits on top of the distributer (45K volts). I also received my accel plenum extension for that nice clean look. My question is, do I need to change the GM control module or any other part under the distributer cap?

On another note, this is my first post for the New Year, here's to a happy, healthy and wealthy 2011!!! :cheers:
Mine dropped right in. double check to make sure the coil lead wires are the same, make sure the ground screw works with the new coil and away you go.

The control module will only change your saturation levels.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Blkvette94, is it worth me putting in the accel module since I'll be replacing the coil? I've been stock piling performance parts since winter started, and in the spring I'll drop everything in the car. I plan on doing the cap, rotor, plugs, wires and coil the same day, so I'll have the distributer open. Is it worth replacing the module? what does it do?

·
Registered
636 Posts

Remember, the 45kV rating is the dielectric rating, and has nothing to do with plug voltage or coil energy levels.

The ECM and ignition module determine the dwell time and peak allowed primary current to deliver the desired energy (not voltage) to the plugs (using the stock coil). Unless you know the comparitive inductance and resistance specs of these two coils (stock and aftermarket) it is impossible to determine if the change resulted in increased or decreased spark energy delivered to the plugs.

I'm using the stock coils in my engines, and they operate flawlessly.

Is it too late to get your money back?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts