Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I very much want to drive the length of Route 66, but my job isn't giving me the 3 weeks or so that I need to do it right. So I've decided to start small and do the first state: Chicago to St. Louis.

My wife and I will drive from Ann Arbor to Chicago the evening of Thursday, July 26th. Bright and early Friday morning, we'll catch breakfast at Lou Mitchell's at the start of Rt66 with BOJVETTE (Jim). Then we'll head on down the Mother Road. We'll take 2 days to travel the 300 miles to St. Louis, stopping to eat and sleep (Springfield?) along the way.

From St. Louis, we'll head to Vandalia, IL where we'll find the end of The National Road, one of the first federally funded roads in the nation (1811-1839). It runs to the Potomac, but we'll only go as far as Columbus, OH and then head back north to Ann Arbor on Tuesday. We figure this is a nice long weekend jaunt.

Along the way, we'd love to connect with any fellow DC fanatics. If you're somewhere on the route, perhaps we could meet for a meal or a beer or even join me to cruise part of the way. We have a few guide books, but any tips for driving this route would be appreciated (things to see, places to eat or sleep, speed traps to avoid, etc.).

If you're interested, send me a PM. :cheers:

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
Enjoy the trip!

Your going to take 2 days to head from chicago to st louis? Are you planning to make lots of stops? There isnt much to see in IL and 300 miles in a day is an easy stretch IMO. We want lots of pictures along the way.

:partyon: :partyon:

·
Registered
752 Posts
I live smack dab in the middle between chicago and st. louis. 3 hours from both and its right on route 66. McLean, IL home of the Dixie Trucker's stop. PM if you want to meet up or something. I could cruise with you a little while.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I live smack dab in the middle between chicago and st. louis. 3 hours from both and its right on route 66. McLean, IL home of the Dixie Trucker's stop. PM if you want to meet up or something. I could cruise with you a little while.
Dixie Trucker's! We've got to stop there, even if only for pie. If you PM me a contact number, I can call you when we're getting close and know when we'll be there. If it's around lunch time on Friday, will you be available?

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Enjoy the trip!

Your going to take 2 days to head from chicago to st louis? Are you planning to make lots of stops? There isnt much to see in IL and 300 miles in a day is an easy stretch IMO. We want lots of pictures along the way.

:partyon: :partyon:
Yes, lots of stops, lots of photos.
Meet us for breakfast!

·
DC Crew
53,226 Posts
I'd love to, but I'm at the bottom of the Mariana Trench right now, drowning, and getting crushed from all sides.:laughing:

·
Registered
4,802 Posts
Bad timing. I would join you guys in a heartbeat (pun intended) except that I will be in Breckenridge with my 76' for the annual Vettes on the Rockies show. I am meeting up with Rjent, Jlowe and a few others.......

One of my goals is to get the 76' in good enough shape to make to L.A. and back on Rte. 66. When I get to that point, I will let you know so we can do it together.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Bad timing. I would join you guys in a heartbeat (pun intended) except that I will be in Breckenridge with my 76' for the annual Vettes on the Rockies show. I am meeting up with Rjent, Jlowe and a few others.......

One of my goals is to get the 76' in good enough shape to make to L.A. and back on Rte. 66. When I get to that point, I will let you know so we can do it together.
I'm thinking late April would be the best time - not as hot in the desert. Next year! :cheers:

·
Registered
4,802 Posts
Just A Thought !!!! How Hot Would It Be In My Car In April !! Some Where On Rt 66 In The Navada

I think those sidepipes would have to be installed on MY car before you embark on that trip......

·
Registered
623 Posts
I very much want to drive the length of Route 66, but my job isn't giving me the 3 weeks or so that I need to do it right. So I've decided to start small and do the first state: Chicago to St. Louis.

My wife and I will drive from Ann Arbor to Chicago the evening of Thursday, July 26th. Bright and early Friday morning, we'll catch breakfast at Lou Mitchell's at the start of Rt66 with BOJVETTE (Jim). Then we'll head on down the Mother Road. We'll take 2 days to travel the 300 miles to St. Louis, stopping to eat and sleep (Springfield?) along the way.

From St. Louis, we'll head to Vandalia, IL where we'll find the end of The National Road, one of the first federally funded roads in the nation (1811-1839). It runs to the Potomac, but we'll only go as far as Columbus, OH and then head back north to Ann Arbor on Tuesday. We figure this is a nice long weekend jaunt.

Along the way, we'd love to connect with any fellow DC fanatics. If you're somewhere on the route, perhaps we could meet for a meal or a beer or even join me to cruise part of the way. We have a few guide books, but any tips for driving this route would be appreciated (things to see, places to eat or sleep, speed traps to avoid, etc.).

If you're interested, send me a PM. :cheers:
Godd luck on your trip. We've travelled all of Route 66 3 times and various portions of it several more. It's a great trip. Starting off at Lou Mitchell's is smart. It is a great place. Be sure to stop at the White Fence Farm in Illinois. And also, the Cozy Dog. I could go on forever.....Be sure to have driving directions too, as it is nearly impossible to stay on Route 66 without them. There are occasional road signs, but if you are depending solely on that, you will get lost. Have fun. We are doing Illinois Route 66 again this fall the week before the Mid America FunFest. Let me know if you want any details on things to see or do....

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
Yes, lots of stops, lots of photos.
Meet us for breakfast!
I would love to, but I dont think my boss would like it if i rolled into work 3 hours late with a food coma. :laughing:

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
... Let me know if you want any details on things to see or do....
Any and all tips are greatly appreciated! Are there any places to avoid or be careful around? Someone told me part of Joliet is a place where you don't want to stop.

We have an MS Streets & Trips map and a few guidebooks. It's too bad you can't download the route into the NAV system.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Any and all tips are greatly appreciated! Are there any places to avoid or be careful around? Someone told me part of Joliet is a place where you don't want to stop.

We have an MS Streets & Trips map and a few guidebooks. It's too bad you can't download the route into the NAV system.
I'll post some stuff for you tonight after I get home from work.....

1 - 20 of 52 Posts