Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Official Forklift Driver
7,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi ya'll,

Just letting you know of my current situation. :thumbsup: Finally after 4 years I toasted my trans! I have to say that this Corvette 700R4 is the best trans I've beat on yet! It just took a Hotcam and gears to finish killing it. I usually went through a trans every 2 rears on average. The one in my van was the fastest. I killed that after 1500 miles but I hear the Dodge transmissions suck to begin with.

I noticed that over the last 3 months the 3 to 4 shift w/ the tq convertor lock-up was taking longer and longer. On Tue. last week, I had to get off the throttle so it could shift. I was on my way back home from Peotone last Wed. (I live near Wolf rd. and I-80) when it happend. I was just a couple miles north of Wilmington-Peotone Rd. on R. 45. I went to 2 Gas City stations to use the payphone and they were both out-of-order!:rolleyes: I made it home using blasts up to 60 mph in 2nd! Good thing this didn't happen to me at Byron or GLD!! :surprised :surprised

I'm taking the Vette to PHP today and we're going to take the trans to Trans Eddie's for a Stage 2 build, good for 500hp. I was scheduled to go in this week for the rest of my mods so this actually worked out pretty good. :cool: After the car is finished at PHP, I go for an alignment and run to the smog station to see if I pass the emissions. If I don't then that gives me 2 months to get it right before I get that 1st notice in the mail. I should be ready for racing after that! I can't wait to get to the Corvette Challenge! :D

Hope to see you CC racers soon!

-John

·
Official Forklift Driver
7,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I hope it still has the consistent characteristic it had before the latest round of mods. All my runs would be be within a few hundeths of each other. The only thing that might mess me up is the MAF sensor. It's giving me a code 44 (lean). That pisses me off more than the trans b/c I'm looking at 2 bad MAF sensors and the 1 in the car. That means I'm going on 1 MAF/year on avgerage. :rolleyes: I don't want to buy another!!

·
Official Forklift Driver
7,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The trans was checked, and rebuilt. I should have it back on Monday. I asked John to put a plug on the trans pan so I can change the fluid more frequently. I noticed that when the exhaust was pulled there was a busted collector gasket and the band clamp had a leak from the cat to rear y connection. The only other leak was the diff seal. Just one year ago I leaked every fluid except for power steering fluid so I'm happy it's just the diff and exhaust.

I drilled 5 holes under the lower supprt between the radiator and condensor last year. I don't know the size but I'd say somewhere around 8-10mm. The reson I did this was to see if when water gets in there, I would hope it would wash any fine particles like dirt, sand, pebbles get washed out of the holes. I figure the debris screen should block the bigger stuff like leaves and plastic bags from clogging my 5 holes. I shined a light in there to see if there is any debris in there and I saw NONE!!:cheers: So far my homemade debris screen is working better than I hoped it would.

After the trans and tq convertor install we still have to do the front poly bushings, ratio adaptor and maybe the DS loop. There still might be a bit of tuning left too. After that I go for an alignment and the 87 should be ready to rock and roll! I keep forgetting the scale so I can add more weights to my homepage. I'll get the weight for the trans and both convertors. If I can get PHP to help me fab up a gas tank cover, I'll get the weight of the spare tire carrier and it's brackets too. :thumbsup:

·
DC Crew
53,220 Posts
War machine said:
The trans was checked, and rebuilt. I should have it back on Monday. I asked John to put a plug on the trans pan so I can change the fluid more frequently. I noticed that when the exhaust was pulled there was a busted collector gasket and the band clamp had a leak from the cat to rear y connection. The only other leak was the diff seal. Just one year ago I leaked every fluid except for power steering fluid so I'm happy it's just the diff and exhaust.

I drilled 5 holes under the lower supprt between the radiator and condensor last year. I don't know the size but I'd say somewhere around 8-10mm. The reson I did this was to see if when water gets in there, I would hope it would wash any fine particles like dirt, sand, pebbles get washed out of the holes. I figure the debris screen should block the bigger stuff like leaves and plastic bags from clogging my 5 holes. I shined a light in there to see if there is any debris in there and I saw NONE!!:cheers: So far my homemade debris screen is working better than I hoped it would.

After the trans and tq convertor install we still have to do the front poly bushings, ratio adaptor and maybe the DS loop. There still might be a bit of tuning left too. After that I go for an alignment and the 87 should be ready to rock and roll! I keep forgetting the scale so I can add more weights to my homepage. I'll get the weight for the trans and both convertors. If I can get PHP to help me fab up a gas tank cover, I'll get the weight of the spare tire carrier and it's brackets too. :thumbsup:
Sounds great! My car is docked until I get the coil-overs on. It rides horrifically.

·
Registered
135 Posts
John good luck with the converter & new trans.
Hope to see you out at Byron the on the 13th

·
Official Forklift Driver
7,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I figure I'd keep this one going w/ updates rather than start a new thread. The trans and tq converter are in and I was able to take it for a short spin last night. :cool:

After I let the engine warm up I made a couple of launches. That thing was spinning madly in 1st and not so badly in 2nd! I was barely able to get the tires to break when shifting into 2nd before the tq converter in 60 degree weather! I'll have to work on the launch before the next Challenge! ;) I can't tell Nick D. thanks enough for the Vigilante! Thanks Nick! :cheers:

I used to get a lean code that I thought was from the MAF sensor, one other code led to that conclusion but it turned out to be the O2 sensor instead. :rolleyes: That thing was jingleing like the Salvation Army folks at Christmas. Now that the lean code is gone it will be very easy to tune this thing.

The car is at Trans Eddie's Tri-State right now so he can work on the weights some more. When he's done, it will go back to PHP for the speedo correction, a bit more tuning and possibly replace the collector gaskets b/c they are broken. After that I will take it in for an alignment and I'll be ready to ROCK!! Hopefully I'll have it back by the end of the week! The only major project left is the front poly bushings and I think I'll wait til winter for those b/c I've had enough downtime, it's time to RIDE!

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
135 Posts
John, you're very welcome. Just do yourself a favor and get some drag radials for the track, you'll need em. You should see around 1.78 or better 60' times w/ the converter & some sticky tires. Your car should fly.

·
Official Forklift Driver
7,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nick,

I brought it home last night!

:excited: :excited: :excited: :excited: :excited: :excited: :excited:

I'll look into DR's when I toast the Firehawks. :thumbsup: It drove much better yesterday than the night before. I was able to load it up to 1800rpm's before the tires broke loose. I can probably get that higher with better brakes. The stock converter would break at 1200 rpms. It's a totally different car now, again, and I'll have to hit U.S. 41 a time or 2 to practice before the next Challenge.

I still have much tweaking to do on the tune. I forgot to lower the fuel pressure yesterday. I have it set @ 50psi. for the lean code. I also have to get some collector gaskets b/c the paper ones broke into pieces and is leaking badly. :( Any recommendations? I'm going back to PHP tonight, Chris said there might be time tonight to slap on the ratio adaptor. After all that is done the rest of the tuning should be cake! :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts