Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just bought my second new corvette. Bought the first in December 1964, a 65 Glen Green 4 speed coupe. Spent every Sunday I could at the dragstrip burning off several sets of tires. Unfortnately, Uncle Sam had other plans for my time and had to sell the vette October 65. I bought another 65 when I returned in 67, this time a white 65 4 speed coupe. Had to sell that one two years later to pay tuition bills. Like thousands of others have regreted those sales ever since. Last month I was visiting the town I bought the first 65 and with a "supplier coupon" that had been burning a hole in my pocket for six months. On the last day the coupon was good and my son telling me I might soon be "too old" to drive a vette, I walked into the local chevy dealer and said: "Find me an Atomic Orange convertible 6 speed 3LT tan and tan." Signed the papers later that night. Several days later, my wife and I headed south to Miami. Great to be back. :thumbsup:

Finally found the "old" pics. Either the cameras went as good or I was a real bad photographer. Original Glen Green 65 350hp ran consistent 13.60's with a 3.36 and street tires, white 65 300hp was a 14.80 dog, can't wait to get the 07 to Moroso to finally beat the 65. We bought the 91 mustang 11 years ago for the then 16 year old son, it was a stock 5,0 automatic. It is currently a 350hp 6sp with 3.73's and runs 13.90s. I "inherited" it when the kid bought a 04 Mustang GT three years ago. 91 goes on EBay next week. Funny I have lost the desire to drive it.:D

Sorry pics later, can't figure out upload process: feeling old.

·
Premium Member
5,157 Posts
Welcome to DC! Post some war stories over in the C2 Tech section! We love to hear 'em!

Steven

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Congratulations and best of luck! Welcome back. I was Vette-less for 8 miserable years between the 2 Vettes that I have owned. Hope I'm never without one again.

·
Premium Member
15,763 Posts
It's great to have you Back in the Vette world and thanks for serving our Country :thumbsup:

·
DC Crew
4,825 Posts
Welcome back!!! What a great way to return to Vettedom, I can't imagine how huge of a difference it must be jumping from a C2 to a C6 :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
17,444 Posts
Welcome to DC... Putting those dates together and are trips with uncle Sam I would say were about the same age. What took you so long to get back...:laughing: Any way glad to see you back. Now we need pictures and info on the ride.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Well, Damn! I thought I was the only one to go back in the day and buy a page of my past back (no, I must say 2 pages). Welcome to DC. They are much more fun now than then, all we can do is have those memories from that era. I had my first one back in 69 . And after I wrecked a damned Ford truck, I decided, the hell with a Ford! Just Chevy owner now. So, started lookin for a truck and no dice. Then I found a trike in Texas I really liked, and the guy sold out from under me. Then I ran accross this pic of my first one 68 Roadster , Silver on Black, 4 speed and 327. Got bugged to sell it a year later from a Corvette Club member and did the fool. Anyway, bought a 69 427/390 hoss, with sidepipes and this baby would move on. Then that big block ate so many plugs that finally I guess one bad one ruined the engine and we tried to rebuild it but finally I gave up and decide to trade it in on a 71 454 Big Block again . Now this orange cat would not blow up. Sound as any Car I have ever owned. Us Baby Boomers deserve it. IT IS our past and a bit of it is all what we need. God Bless America and God Bless Corvette. "Save the Wave" cuz they the only ones who give a HOOT! Welcome to DC. Post some old pics of your cars back then would ya?:thumbsup: :cheers:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Looking for old pictures

Seem to remember one picture of the orginal 65 as we prepared to go the 1965 NRHA Summer Nationals in Indi. Have several of the second 65. I will spend some time this weekend looking for old pictures and taking some of the C6, assuming I'm not out driving around with the top down all weekend.:laughing:

As the why so long between vettes: No really good excuse, just the usual, money, other interests, boats, fishing, adventure sports, kids...

·
Registered
161 Posts
Tell you what- I'll try to find that first '65 for you and buy it back myself in 8 years (my projected next Vette purchase)...

Great story- Congrats!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts