Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I've been made an offer and am not sure which way to go.
I love my Corvette, it was a gift from my wife and she got the car from her father whom I originally was building it for (he's in a wheelchair and can no longer do it himself)
As mentioned before, the new crate motor has about 1000 miles on it, new interior, weatherstripping etc...
However, to be completely done, it needs massive engine detailing (my father in law had all the 26 year old accessories put back on the engine), a new Carb (yep, 26 year old junk on the new motor), a quarter inch crack in the dash repaired, new clutches for the rear end (they clatter a lot around turns), a trans rebuild wouldn't hurt since it is at 110k miles, and it could really use a decent exhaust system, it has a new original style system on it, but it doesn't sound any sportier than what you find on the average Bel-Air station wagon!!! Last, but not least, it needs a decent hood and a new paint job.
Now, my ex-father in law is looking for a C3 body for his latest motor build, a super hot 454, and has offered me a hell of a trade. It's a rust free, showroom looking 81 Malibu that he has customized the body on (functional hood scoop, rear spoiler) and built this amazing 400 stroked to 406 cubic inches, all hi-po forged aluminum stuff, roller crank, cam, rockers, 2 700 cfm 4 barrel carbs with progressive linkage, the list just goes on and on, the engine compartment and the undercarriage are clean enough to eat off of and it has a 400 TH auto trans built to take the power too! Oh and it has a killer sounding set of side pipe exhaust on it as well. Looking at his receipts, he has about 12k in the engine alone. And the body only has about 40k original miles on it, has the original window sticker, build sheet, all the good stuff.
Of course it's a better deal for me (I think), but I'm torn mainly because 78-83 Malibu's are so #@^#%@ UGLY!!!
Even though he's my ex-father in law, I raised his grandson on my own after my first wife split, so I know it's a genuine offer and I would hate to seem ungrateful.
What do you guys think?

·
DC PIT CREW BOSS
39,608 Posts
The first thing I do is ask my wife and father-in-law. You probably get a "Well, if you really want to" answer, then let your conscience be your guide

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I gotta be honest, I really don't want to. I just don't want to look ungrateful or possibly be making a mistake value-wise.

·
Banned
1,873 Posts
81 malibu.......YUCK!!! :down: Don't do it. :crazy: :surprised :WTF

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
If you don't want to then don't do it. Just explain that you don't find the car "appealing" or that its not your style and let it go. He'll either understand, or he'll get over it. But you're going to be miserable for a long time afterwards if you let yourself get talked into it.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Cougar :buhbye:

·
Banned
3,855 Posts
Yuppers, TT is correct......Value= popularity and market....there is no market, so your popularity is near zero....so the value is really LO....

your vette got it 3-4x on value, easy....

a VETTE allways has a customer, that other thing don't....

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
LOL...that's exactly what was running through my mind. And even though I've only had the vette in my own possesion for a little over a year, I must admit, I've grown attached...
And when my wife asked to see a photo of an 81 Malibu when she was considering "allowing" the trade if I ended up going through with it, her words were, "G*dd*mn that's ugly!! You're crazy if you do that!"

Thanks for reaffirming that I would be doing the wrong thing if I traded guys!

·
Registered
4,802 Posts
Go with your gut.

I find that in most instances, your initial reaction is the one you should follow...:cheers:

·
Registered
738 Posts
Keep the vette, no question about it

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
What were the first 4 words of your second sentence...Oh yea

"I LOVE MY CORVETTE"

END of story! :devil: :D

·
Registered
536 Posts
So you pretty much "inherited" a Corvette by marriage through your current wife that belonged to her dad that is in a wheelchair?

And your EX-WIFES father want's to swap that car for a Malibu?

Is it me or does this sound slightly selfish?

I'm trying to understand your situation and put myself in your shoes and Honestly I can't.....It wouldn't feel right

Even if it was a total stranger (and not ex-in-law) I still can't see trading off like that.

But FWIW I sure wouldn't trade for a malibu....your ex-father in law would be getting the better deal in the long run.....keep the car.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
The first thing I do is ask my wife........ You probably get a "Well, if you really want to" answer, then...............
..........IT WOULD BE :down: :devil: :spanked: :whip: :whip: :whip: :whip: :whip: :whip: :spanked: :whip: :whip: :whip:..............:toilet

In My Case At Least :D

KEEP THE VETTE!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So you pretty much "inherited" a Corvette by marriage through your current wife that belonged to her dad that is in a wheelchair?
Not quite, he purchased the car about 3 years ago, but couldn't do the work on it, so I was "volunteered" to do all the building for him. After it was pretty close to being finished, he decided he didn't want it and bought both a 94 vette and a 29 T-Bucket. (That of course would be up to me to fix up, but I digress...)

So he offered it to my wife, she didn't want it/like it, but she knows how much I love cars and accepted it to give me for Christmas last year.

Wow, that was a long story!

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
So he offered it to my wife, she didn't want it/like it, but she knows how much I love cars and accepted it to give me for Christmas last year.

Hold on here! You're looking at giving up a CHRISTMAS PRESENT SHE GAVE YOU????????????

I don't know how your house is, but if I did that and looked in a mirror, there wouldn't be any reflection. I'd be a DEAD MAN!

·
Registered
536 Posts
Not quite, he purchased the car about 3 years ago, but couldn't do the work on it, so I was "volunteered" to do all the building for him. After it was pretty close to being finished, he decided he didn't want it and bought both a 94 vette and a 29 T-Bucket. (That of course would be up to me to fix up, but I digress...)

I see :thumbsup:

I kept getting this picture of a man buying a brand new 81 Corvette, and falling on bad times, and giving the car to his daughter, daughter gives it to husband....husband decides to trade it off......about broke my heart

But if he bought it three years ago and has the $$$ to throw on other cars then I wouldn't feel bad..

But I still wouldn't trade for a malibu :D

I can't see parting with something like this:

No matter how "clean" this is:

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
How many threads do you see about people saying, "I am so glad I sold my vette."
Sure there are plenty.........Just not on Vette Forums.
I've heard this comment from several people over the years.

"But I do believe the majority are Mentally Challenged" :crazy:

:rolling:

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Trading a Corvette for a Malibu is like.....................

Trading a Sexy Young Wife for Grandma.......:surprised

:D JMHO

1 - 20 of 21 Posts