Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about buying GS replica rims for my 1988 35th anniversary edition. The front wheels are 17x9.5 with a 56 mm off set. That should be the same dimensions as my stock rim. Not a problem.

The rear wheels are 17x11 with a 50mm off set.

My question is would I need GS rear fender flares to pull off the 17x11's? Could I put the 17x11's on the rear without fender flares?

I can always opt for 17x9.5 all around which would enable me to rotate my tires.

·
DC Crew
32,974 Posts
Lot's of guys run those on thier 88-up cars. I don't see why they wouldn't work on yours. Will you paint them white though? That would be cool.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Raid, I'd keep the wheels black with the machined lip. I figure the car will look nice since the car is all white, with 10% tint on the windows. The dark tinted window and black wheels will break up the white and give it some contrast.

Can I put 17x11 in the rear w/o using fender flares? Would it look rediculous? Or can I get away with it

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
I had a 96 with the GS rims w/o the fender flares. It's OK, the fender flares aren't the best looking anyway. I might have a picture somewhere if you are interested.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey Mbwalker, I'm very interested in seeing the pics. I want to get an idea of what a C4 with 17x11's look like without fender flares. If you want post the pics here or send it to my email address at [email protected]

Thanks

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Here's a halfway decent side view. Gotta like those big GS tires! I can check for more, but this is probably the best I got. You might want to look for some GS pictures, I would think it would be easy to imagine the car w/o the fender flares.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That looks sharp, MB, you sold me on the 17X11's for the rear w/o fender flares. Thanks again.

I found a website online that sells the 4 rims and sumitomo tires, mounted and balanced for $935, plus shipping.

Hey Raid, I found a picture on DC that has a 88 35th anniv with white ZR-1 wheels, it was sharp. I got a good powder coater near me, so I can eventually get them powdercoated white if I get sick of the GS look.

Speaking of powder coating, I'm unbolting and removing some parts from the motor compartment and will have them powder coated a dark red/maroon, to match the maroon in the two 35th anniversary badges that are on the hood behind each front wheel. I'm also going with chrome accents to really give contrast to the motor compartment. By spring/summer it should start to take shape!

·
DC Crew
32,974 Posts
You'll like them without the flares, don't sweat it.:thumbsup: Your car will look sick with black wheels but I like the all white on the 88's Either way you can do anything you want with a little money and a powdercoater near by.:laughing:

·
Registered
110 Posts
i have the 17x11 GS rims on the back of my '91, with Sumitomo's. they don't stick out. unless somebody told you, you wouldn't notice, other than the view from the rear of the steamrollers. no flares needed.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Rpol98 and Mbwalker, those pics sold me the 17x11's for the rear. I'm going to place my order for the rims and tires, I can't wait!

Once again, I thank everybody for thier input. :cheers:

·
El Teafive
10,489 Posts
i have the 17x11 GS rims on the back of my '91, with Sumitomo's. they don't stick out. unless somebody told you, you wouldn't notice, other than the view from the rear of the steamrollers. no flares needed.

Yeah the sumitomo's seem to be a bit narrower the other 315s of different brands, I think you will be fine

1 - 14 of 14 Posts