Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
I guess if you're driving in Ontario, don't drive 125 MPH or you could lose your ride. I don't think that's unique to Ontario. Anytime you drive twice the posted speed limit on a public highway you risk serious punishment. If you're not willing to take that risk, don't do it.

·
Registered
4,479 Posts
if that happened to me i would no longer want to live it scares me now just sitting here:lookinup:

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Be afraid. This stuff happens. Save your racing for the track. My nightmare is driving through some hick town with a crooked sheriff who's kid wants a new car... yikes!

·
Registered
4,479 Posts
Be afraid. This stuff happens. Save your racing for the track. My nightmare is driving through some hick town with a crooked sheriff who's kid wants a new car... yikes!
i dont speed and if i do its no more then 10 over so i SHOULD be safe for the most part

·
Registered
7,232 Posts
the dudes were 22 and 23, doesnt show well for my demographic :lookinup:

·
Registered
759 Posts
Ontario Attorney-General Michael Bryant warned racers earlier this week the government will seize any car even suspected of street racing and send it to a compactor,
SUSPECTED!!!:crazy: :WTF :down:

WOW no due prossess up there???

guilty without proof??

note to self if you wanna race in canada....RENT THE CAR!

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
I heard they were doing this in California also.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Ontario passes tough street racing law
Last Updated: Tuesday, May 29, 2007 | 5:15 PM ET
CBC News
Street racers and impaired drivers now face stiffer fines and automatic suspensions of their driver's licences.

On Tuesday afternoon, the Ontario government passed Bill 203, which was introduced this April by Transportation Minister Donna Cansfield in hopes of cracking down on dangerous driving.

Under the new law, minimum fines for street racers will rise to $2,000 from the previous minimum of $200, with the maximum increasing from $1,000 to $10,000 — a penalty Cansfield says is the highest in Canada for street racing.

Cars owned by the street racers can also be seized for up to a week.

"This isn't American Graffiti. This is serious and people are dying," said Ontario Attorney General Michael Bryant about the tougher penalties.

The bill was passed hours after the sentencing of two men in the death of a Toronto taxi driver that made headlines last year when the duo was accused of street racing.

Both 20-year-old men were handed conditional sentences of two years less a day after pleading guilty to dangerous driving causing death. One of their cars slammed into the cab in a high-speed collision, but their lawyer argued they were just speeding.
Yes we still have due process up here. (for now) :D

MICHAEL OLIVEIRA

From Wednesday's Globe and Mail

June 27, 2007 at 5:16 AM EDT

TORONTO — Calls from Ontario's top cop to combat the scourge of street racing with police planes and tougher legislation will be given close consideration, the province said yesterday.

While OPP Commissioner Julian Fantino's report on how to implement his ideas is likely weeks away, two cabinet ministers who count the controversial issue among their files said they would consider any proposals he makes.

"We would look at anything the commissioner brought forward, I mean that quite sincerely," Transportation Minister Donna Cansfield said yesterday. "His officers are really where it's happening - they're on the street, they understand these issues - so we would look very closely at any suggestions that he brought forward and work with them on those suggestions."

On Monday, Commissioner Fantino said he wanted planes to monitor highways for aggressive drivers. He also called on the government to amend legislation so any driver travelling 50 kilometres an hour over the speed limit would be considered a street racer and have their car seized.

Community Safety Minister Monte Kwinter agreed yesterday that the province needs to step up the enforcement of speed limits because aggressive drivers aren't slowing down.

"We [must] eliminate these people who don't realize that when they're speeding and when they're driving aggressively and recklessly, they're in control of what's potentially a deadly weapon," he said.

The ministers' words came on the same day Ontario's Attorney-General announced plans to appeal the sentences of two young Toronto men involved in a high-speed crash that killed a taxi driver.

Wang-Piao Dumani Ross and Alexander Ryazanov, both 20, pleaded guilty to charges of dangerous driving causing death for their roles in the Jan. 24, 2006, death of 46-year-old Tahir Khan.

Last month the men were handed two-year conditional sentences, including 12 months of house arrest, 150 hours of community service and four-year driving prohibitions.

The sentence drew the ire of many observers who felt the punishment was too lenient.

Brendan Crawley, a spokesman for Attorney-General Michael Bryant, confirmed the Crown's plans to appeal, but refused to comment further.

New Democrat Peter Kormos said he likes the idea of police planes but added that the government shouldn't be taking cues from Commissioner Fantino, who should be enforcing the laws, not making them.

Canadian Press with a report from Matt Hartley
A few people (those with a political agenda) would like to see cars crushed. It appears it's mostly the ricers that are giving the performance enthusiasts the bad name but unfortunately there have been some major incidents involving kids with Vettes.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I live in Toronto and agree with dangers of youths with fast cars ,however it takes two or more people to constitute racing , they seem to want to grab anyone driving fast and use the publics fear to set up more traps ,hate to sound cinacal but there is a lot of politics and revenue involved , I do care for the safety of other drivers when I want to race I use the old f1 track at Mosport, gets it all out of my system, I drive very safely on the way home

1 - 13 of 13 Posts