Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have to admit when I first saw the new Chevrolet commercial I was very impressed in the effort Chevy is making in revitalizing its reputation. I agree the Corvette being the halo car should have been put on last, but nonetheless it was still impressive. We all knew seeing it in action was going to make most of us change our minds about what we think of the up and coming c6, but the more I watch it, the more I still wish the front and rear was slightly different.

Let's be honest, from the side profile the c6 is killer. Looks as good as any other car regardless of price. How many of you would like the c6 even more if the front facia was enclosed in the middle and the a$$ was slightly revamped. How hard would it be for them to bring the front facia together in the middle, just big enough for a front plate. You could still have the two larger openings serving the same purpose as the on large one now.

As for the rear they need to eliminate the concave look and to make the tail lights more oval (and use LED's). The area around the license plate needs to be more focused on the plate instead of making a huge open area around the plate. As for the plastic trim, that's o.k. but remove the backup lights from it, move those to back up around license plate or maybe integrate them into the brake lights and instead of making it gray plastic why not make it body colored.

The interior of the c5 is ergonomically near perfect. Maybe the materials are a little on the cheap side, but the overall layout is great. For the c6 the center console needs to be updated with an in dash touch screen display. The gauges need brushed aluminum accents and we need aluminum door handles and parking brake handle. The steering wheel looks too cheap. It doesn't express quality to me; infact it reminds me of the steering wheel in my old 93 chevy silverado.

The wheel in my c5 looks way better than those pics. If the would beef it up a little and give a smooth texture (someone chopped some pics of it) it would look a lot better. Softer, richer leather on the dash and seats that don't wear out in 6 months, like early c5's would be nice. The c6 is about innovation in design and performance, and the interior I'm looking at looks ok in some ways, but lacking in others.

I want some feedback on this one. Am I the only one who would kill for a c6 if chevy made some really minor changes or is everyone pleased as is. Let's get some ideas flowing here what changes do you see necessary????

Mike.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Finally somebody,

I totally agree with you. The front and rear is what I'm disappointed about. I hate the front facia opening - it looks like a hungry frog or sth. The rear end looks like a truck hit the car from behind ?! It's like using a hammer, I hit it here a little bit and there a little bit, so we've got a new rear end ?! (look at the comparison photo - it has c5 and c6 rear end together on it)
Interior, what's with the passanger side, It looks empty. C5 has nicer passanger side. It all seems like they paid attention to some parts, but also lost the will to finish it.

I've got one question here. Has GM ever done any kind of survey about what the customer wants, cause I've been reading posts on this forum for looong time and it seems like they had their eyes closed I guess.

I remeber people say:
c5 looks fat from behind -> it still does
interior looks cheap -> I don't think they've made drastic progress
more power -> another small step was made (400 HP) [I know price factor ...]

I've heard this years ago. Hardsell is over, softsell is what you want to do...

In conclusion, I've been dreaming about corvette for more than 5 years (and will be a few years more, before able to buy). I live in Europe and the only sports car I'll drive is a vette or a viper. For me it's all about THE LOOKS and ENGINE SOUND + POWER, sorry but european cars (98%) sound .... wait they don't sound at all.

I'm not sure I'll ever be able to adjust to c6 at all. :down:

·
Registered
158 Posts
I forgot to mention changes I'd like to see:

FRONT (minor changes):
{every generation from 4th on has less agressive front facia !?!}
1] fill that front hole with something like Blue/Red Devil pictures have aluminium net or whatever
2] I liked C4 lights low in the front bumber -> car looks more aggresive
3] front lights might even look ok but need to see the whole front in reality (picture hides the width of the car)

FRONT (costly)
1] is it just me or what, I liked the car to have "overhangings"
the front overhanging (part from front tires to the end of front facia sideways) is shorter and shorter every generation (from 4th on) you can see how the car looks fatter now sideways, because they had to end the curve line sooner

REAR (minor changes):
1] put 3rd break light on the roof (like ZR1 had)
2] put back corvette letters between tail lights below the NEW LOGO
3] remove backup lights from that plastic part and integrate them into brake lights
4] remove that plastic

REAR (costly)
push the relief (instead of plastic) inside towards the front of the car and eliminate concave look -> make relief agressive

INTERIOR:
1] replace the steering wheel
2] put some aluminium on passanger side at least...

There you go...:D

·
Banned
1,838 Posts
Great writeup and opinion!

Although I Happen to love the C6...I enjoyed reading this thread.

I like the changes that I have seen. I believe this car to be a winner..

Different strokes for different folks!

I bet the C6 Z06 is even more amazing!

I

·
Registered
585 Posts
From what I have seen I believe the C6 will be the biggest loser GM has seen in a long time.

I personally will be looking to grap a 04 Z06 at the best price available., which should be mid 40's . I am hoping that GM will be offering 0% money in near future to clear 04's out.

Bill
96 Grand Sport #670

·
Registered
585 Posts
I just hope that the disappointment for GM in the sales of the C6 is not the final move for GM to cancel out the Corvette :-(.

Bill
96 Grand Sport #670

·
DC Crew
3,723 Posts
billcar670 said:
From what I have seen I believe the C6 will be the biggest loser GM has seen in a long time.

I personally will be looking to grap a 04 Z06 at the best price available., which should be mid 40's . I am hoping that GM will be offering 0% money in near future to clear 04's out.

Bill
96 Grand Sport #670
:lookinup: :(

·
DC Crew
3,723 Posts
billcar670 said:
I just hope that the disappointment for GM in the sales of the C6 is not the final move for GM to cancel out the Corvette :-(.

Bill
96 Grand Sport #670
:( :lookinup:

·
DC Crew
3,723 Posts
mdlawson01 said:
As for the rear they need to eliminate the concave look and to make the tail lights more oval (and use LED's).
The oval tail lights will probably look dated in the very near future.

·
Registered
585 Posts
84 GRANDSPORT said:
I doubt that will ever happen!:whip:
I hope you are right. I have been told that in the upper levels of GM that there have been past movements to halt construction of the Corvette.

Don't take me wrong, I am and have been for many years a Corvette enthusiast. It just has saddened me for many years to see the lack of attention to detail that GM has applied to the Corvette.

A few examples for be lots of cheap plastic, lousy paint jobs and the use of lousy constructed off shore parts, etc., etc.

I can only imagine what the Corvette could really be if GM would only step up to the plate and really appreciate the type of following that the Corvette has had. If you look at the average age of Corvette ownership this should tell a great deal to the Corvette enthusiast and GM.

Bill
96 Grand Sport #670

·
Registered
0 Posts
billcar670 said:
I believe the average age figure was mid to late 40's.

Bill
96 Grand Sport #670
really...thanks for the info!:thumbsup: I always wondered that......I had my first Vette before I was 21.:smokin: I am 34 now.:D

·
Registered
199 Posts
after watching the 2 minute commercial I am even more convinced that the car is a winner.

:partyon: :cheers: :excited: :smokin: :partyon:

·
Registered
10 Posts
I guess "different strokes for different folks" applies

Really, honestly, though, I think the C6 will be the most successful Vette in history. Stock from the factory it looks like it will run within a tick of a 2004 Z06 in a straight line or on a track. It looks much better (IMO), has a decent interior, and can only get better through its production run.

My C5 is already looking dated to me. No doubt, the C5 is going to finish as one of the very best Vettes ever, but the C6 is, to me, a clear evolution of the C5. :partyon:

·
DC Crew
3,723 Posts
Re: I guess "different strokes for different folks" applies

gnosys said:
Really, honestly, though, I think the C6 will be the most successful Vette in history. Stock from the factory it looks like it will run within a tick of a 2004 Z06 in a straight line or on a track. It looks much better (IMO), has a decent interior, and can only get better through its production run.

My C5 is already looking dated to me. No doubt, the C5 is going to finish as one of the very best Vettes ever, but the C6 is, to me, a clear evolution of the C5. :partyon:
:agree: exactly

·
Registered
365 Posts
I saw the commercial online and I love the C6. To each his own, think what you want.

By the way, I was watching comedy central last night, and at about midnight-1am, I saw the Chevy commercial, C6 and all. Anyone else seein it on TV yet?

·
Registered
77 Posts
When I first saw the front end of the C6 I didn't like it either. But as better and better pics are available, I like it more. We're not used to one grill opening, but look at the C1 and C2. The Vette also had exposed headlights for the first 9 years, although I do agree the lights are a little oversized.
The rear is great. The C5's oval lights I never liked, and the license plate/back up lights looked like a big out of place cut out on the back of the car. Going back to round looking lights is great and the license plate area looks more molded in with the rest of the bumper, not a "cut out". The under side area with back up lights is great. Looks like the air tunnell on an F1 race car.
It is definately an step forward with several design queues paying homage to past Vette generations.
I do agree, metal grill like the pic mock ups would be awesome.
I'm planning on getting a 2007 model. But I'm not getting rid of my C3 either.

·
Registered
77 Posts
OK, I just saw the video on the Chevy web site. C6 definately looks AWESOME in motion. Front facia looks more agressive, low and pointy than in static pics. I think all our worries about it will be wiped away when we all see it in person. And don't worry, in a couple years they'll tweak the engine a little. If the Z06 is going to be 500hp, then they'll get 450 out of the base model. 2005 is just the introduction year, don't think the C6 is stuck at 400hp.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts