Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a good solution/product for us guys who don't have a roll bar and/or don't want to drill holes in our new rides in order to mount an in car camera on track days.
http://www.filmtools.com/gripsuccupca.html

Its actually a 6in suction cup that attaches to the windows or any flat surface and can be removed in an instant. It has a 4 point swivel system that should get you almost any angle you want.

My only problem is this...I have a hard drive video camera which whenever speeds got over 100mph it just shut off recording. The only thing I could imagine was too much vibration.. I tried adding some additional cushion between the camera and the mount but it still didn't work. Anyone have the same issue or any solutions?

My buddy has a mini-dv camera (tapes) and never has a problem.

·
Registered
16,300 Posts
Note: Camera mounts must be approved in order to use them at HPDEs.

I stayed away from the hard drive cameras. I use Mini-DVD and Mini-DV Cameras.

The Z06 Viper racing films I posted were shot with a Mini-DVD camera.

Careful with the cameras, they become lethal projectiles in an accident.

:cheers:

·
Registered
539 Posts
I use a laptop for datalogging so I just added a web cam and clipped it on the visor. I have only tested it up to around 125 mph but no problems so far.

·
Premium Member
17,444 Posts
I use a laptop for datalogging so I just added a web cam and clipped it on the visor. I have only tested it up to around 125 mph but no problems so far.

What kind of laptop do you use and how do you secure it?

·
Registered
539 Posts
What kind of laptop do you use and how do you secure it?
It's just a Toshiba Satellite.

You can buy laptop mounts that bolt to the front passenger seat brackets or you can make your own. So far I haven't made one and I simply put it in the passenger seat or secure it with the seat belt. The non skid pads on the bottom of the laptop and the angle of the seat keeps it in place very well. However in a crash it would be better if it was mounted.

·
Brown Noser
782 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Looks interesting...I wonder if that the ATC camera would have the same high speed issue as my hard drive camera, where it cuts out all the time due to vibration.

Looks like it may work for slapping on a snowmobile helmet too.

Can't wait to see some track video.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Decided to try in car video

This thread inspired me to try in car video for my track days.
I bought an inexpensive SD camcorder with a 2 GB SD card, good for 2.5 hours of 640x480 resolution video. I picked the RCA EZ201 because it got good reviews for an inexpensive camcorder $125 out the door from Circuit City. http://www.mysmallwonder.com/
I fabricated my own camera mount using aluminum angle stock and an UltraPod.

Thanks for the inspiration. I'll try it out Sept 8 at Willow Springs.
Roy.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts