Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, im planning a whole new stereo for my car, and want to gut the whole stock stereo and speakers.

I want to know how I should go about the in dash speakers, like mostly, how do I remove them? my dash is in great shape, and dont want to ruin anything. but space is a premium, so I will be replacing those crappy speakers with better ones.

how do I swap em out? what needs to be removed?

and do all vettes have door speakers? I have no grills on my door pannels, and im believing that I dont have door speakers, wich means I can just instal some of my own, and not have to worry bout ripping out all the bose crap that does not exist?
thanks all to the replies.

·
Premium Member
7,092 Posts
I'm not familiar with the '84's, but for the dash speakers to come out, the dash pad has to come out as well. There are several screws underneath the lip of the dash pad that hold it in place. Remove them, lift up, and pull it towards the back.

Be careful when buying new dash speakers. I bought a set of Infinity's and they're too deep. I'd take your old speakers with you for comparison when you go to buy a new set.

As for the doors, it all depends on if the doors already have cutouts underneath the panels to accept speakers. Do a search for "audio system" and you should get several posts, including ones by me, Raidmagic, and Agent86. They'll give you ideas to work with.

·
DC Crew
32,974 Posts
I'm not familiar with the '84's, but for the dash speakers to come out, the dash pad has to come out as well. There are several screws underneath the lip of the dash pad that hold it in place. Remove them, lift up, and pull it towards the back.

Be careful when buying new dash speakers. I bought a set of Infinity's and they're too deep. I'd take your old speakers with you for comparison when you go to buy a new set.

As for the doors, it all depends on if the doors already have cutouts underneath the panels to accept speakers. Do a search for "audio system" and you should get several posts, including ones by me, Raidmagic, and Agent86. They'll give you ideas to work with.
What did you ever do with those Shield?

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
I have 4" mids and 1" tweets in my 84 dash. They sound awesome, but would not work with the stock grilles. The ones I built look stock, but are far from it. I'll see if I have pics somewhere.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
today I took off the driver door pannel. - wasnt held on by verrymuch? - kinda suprizing, but I found absolutely no trace of factory door speakers inside so I measured the rectangular hole 6.5in long by 5.5 high and am going to try and find some speakers to custom mount in there. I wonder if I could grind with my dremel tool and be able to mount some bigger speakers in there? I think I saw raidmagic do something similar somewhere on here. then id just have to run some wires to the head unit. or to my amp ?

muddpile - love your car bro, my car is the same color but is charcol / greyish color below the belt line. are you running 17in rims? they look hot with black centers. and id love to see pix of your custom speakers in the dash. - Im realley going to have to put in a good stereo for sound other than the flowmasters with no catts, hahahaha.

·
Premium Member
7,092 Posts
What did you ever do with those Shield?
Still have them. I had them listed in the old classified section, but never put them back up in the new one.

today I took off the driver door pannel. - wasnt held on by verrymuch? - kinda suprizing, but I found absolutely no trace of factory door speakers inside so I measured the rectangular hole 6.5in long by 5.5 high and am going to try and find some speakers to custom mount in there. I wonder if I could grind with my dremel tool and be able to mount some bigger speakers in there?
Sounds like the '84 has the same inner door skin. You could just cut into the fiberglass, or you could make something similar to what Agent86 and I did....

http://www.digitalcorvettes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35347&highlight=system

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just got done putting in speakers in the dash, some pioneer 4 by 6 three way speakers, fit nicely no hassle. also replaced the rear 6 by 9s with some kicker 3 ways. sounds good, but not good enough so I have also hooked up a kicker 4 channel amp and stole a 12 and bass tube out of my other car. - hooked up the rear 6 by 9 to the amp on channel 1 and the 12 on channel 2 so its real loud now.
but I still hear flowmasters doing their awful moan at around 1800 rpm. I guess its just one of those things. :devil: maby some dynamat will go in with my new carpet when I install it....

I did run wires up to the doors so when I find the right speakers to custom fit in there I can hook them up as well.
after the door speakers go in, I imagine my stereo will almost be too loud. hahahah, not realley tho.

what size door speakers do you guys have? do you think I could grind away and squeeze in a set of 6 by 9s ?

thanks for all the help guys. you rock.

·
DC Pit Crew Boss
4,165 Posts
I have 6.5" round Alpines in the doors and it fits in there good. Then took some new carpet and cut it to fit around the speaker. It looks really sharp ill try to get you some pictures soon.

The one thing I didnt notice with the door speakers is that if you put a custom grille on then you have to be careful that the door will still close. There is a very small gap between my grille and door sill and I didnt even realize that it could have been an issue during install. Got lucky lol

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
wow. those look awesome in there. im definately doing this install.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts