Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought some might be interested in seeing the in line power steering cooler I've just fitted. I had originally intended fitting it as an auxillary trans cooler, but opted for it's present configuration after having the side mount headers modified which placed them fairly close to the RHD steering box. I bent up some 3/8" stainless steel tubing for the fluid lines (polishing them first of course ) as well as making some alloy mounts for the cooler itself.

Bob

·
Registered
71 Posts
Please show us more Brutus. I'm trying to figure out where to mount engine oil and tramsmission coolers on my '79.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Nice work as usual Brutus as usual. I burnt up a few pumps and I figured the oil was overheating. I ended up going with a remote resovoir pump to try and cool the oil.
I really like that chrome thing you have running between the upper A arms. Have to make me one of those.:laughing: :laughing:

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here's another pic....not as clear as the first, but gives a bit of an idea of the plumbing.

·
Banned
1,873 Posts
Very nice work Brutus,

One thing though, I fear there won''t be a lot of airflow through the stacked plates like that, with your skills it must be a breeze bending a small scoop on the underside so it directs up air and forces it through the cooler.

I have the parts lying around for a cooler setup like that and I'm gonna use it too because my pump is close to the turbocharger. I do have a remote reservoir like norval has. i also have an aircraft spec hydraulic fluids filter with fine mesh cartridge. Don''t want the pump and the hydrobooster to crap out because of debris.

So..on to your next project and some more of those yummie pics :)

·
DC PIT CREW BOSS
39,567 Posts
That is one cool plumbing job. Thanks for sharing:thumbsup:

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Marck...You've just pre-empted my next project. I do plan on making up a scoop to channel air into the cooler as you pointed out. That will have to wait until I finish making up another fibreglass piece I'm working on at the moment. This one fits to the top of the radiator support and will funnel air thru the radiator a bit better as well as tidying up that area.
I would like to find out more about these remote p/s reservoirs as well as possibly fitting a smaller p/s pump if that's possible.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Brutus I have a nascar stye power steering pump that has no resovoir. I made one with 2 returns. One for the power brakes and one for the steering. It is chambered and holds about a liter of power steering fluid. My pump is a KRC. It is adjustable for output volume to change how the steering feels and puts out about 150 psi more then the stock pump. It is very small, light and trick looking.

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
NICE!!! Where did u get that upper A-arm stabilizer .... I WANT ONE!!

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Norval...Are those p/s pumps you have readily available and where do you have your reservoir mounted in relation to the pump? Did you have to make up your own brackets for the new p/s pump as well?
Thanks.

JCswm said:
NICE!!! Where did u get that upper A-arm stabilizer .... I WANT ONE!!
I made it to my own design I've just been too slack to put together some sort of plans and dimensions so anyone else can copy it. Sorry.:(

Bob

·
Banned
1,873 Posts
dragging an old post from the grave. The pumps are readily available if you bring good money. Sweet and KRC make some of the finest pumps, availabel in iron or alu. I have an alu pump that comes with a head mount brackets, the reserboir is external (firewall mounted) and the pulley is seperate too (CV Products 2002 series)

Here's a pic..the pump is the thing on the right :)

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
TwinTurbo said:
dragging an old post from the grave. The pumps are readily available if you bring good money. Sweet and KRC make some of the finest pumps, availabel in iron or alu. I have an alu pump that comes with a head mount brackets, the reserboir is external (firewall mounted) and the pulley is seperate too (CV Products 2002 series)

Here's a pic..the pump is the thing on the right :)

I see 2 air PUMPS, a water PUMP, an oil PUMP and your really cool P/S PUMP...... NICE!!!!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts