Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am selling my 92 corvette. The odometer reads 54k miles on it. I had a potential buyer ask for my VIN so he could run a carfax report. He called me back to let me know that on 3/09/05 a local service shop reported my vehicle as having 143k miles on it. Well I nearly lost it on the phone, I couldn't believe it. I asked the guy to email me a copy of the carfax report and he did. It is a legit carfax report with all relevant history. Now, when I bought the vette the odometer read 42k and the guy I bought it from kept some paper work that had the advertisement he saw for this vette. The ad said 39k miles on it. Now the date of the carfax report was june 04. That means over 100k miles were put on the vette in less than a year (if I am to believe the carfax report).

How easy/hard is it for someone to change the odometer reading on a 92 vette?

How hard/easy is it prove that the mileage on the carfax is incorrect?

Thanks for your suggestions.

·
Premium Member
6,667 Posts
Bump

·
Registered
687 Posts
Does the mileage listed over time seem legit on the report or does it appear to be an obvious typo?

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Does the mileage listed over time seem legit on the report or does it appear to be an obvious typo?
If you are asking whether it is possible for the mileage be correct then no. Someone would have to have driven over 100k miles in a year. That is possible but unlikely seeing as the condition of the vette.

·
Registered
687 Posts
This is what I meant, does not make sense

Date Mileage
9/1/1992 85
1/1/1995 5,000
1/1/2000 25,000
7/1/2004 39,000
1/1/2005 41,500
3/9/2005 143,000

If you talk to your local DMV, you should be able to get this taken care of and then you can submit something to CARFAX

I had a similar problem with a BMW I purchased. Carfax said the car was damaged when I registered it after purchasing from the Chicago owner. The car was never damaged and I had to take care of it with the DMV and submit the paperwork to carfax

1 - 5 of 5 Posts