Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

this would be my goal for my car...
Indi Throttles from TWM and standalone Tec3 Engine management.

however Id like to know how to get the LT1 to be capable of spinning up to about 8000rpms if not higher.

·
DC Crew
53,222 Posts
Never heard of such an animal before. Grumpy or Jeff should jump in here to help ya. They are probably in their garages working on their cars.

·
DC PIT CREW BOSS
39,567 Posts
Thatr would be cool sitting on top of a SBC but how are you going to get them to work on a 325i? They look like Weber IDA-48's. If you live in Massachusetts they might not be a good choice given the winters you have. If I remember correctly (Memory comes and goes with age) the IDA-48's do not have a choke. The IDA-44's might be better. They have a manual choke and provide plenty of air flow for a SBC unless you are going to constantly be in the 8000rpm range. The IDA-44's don't have the visual impact of the 48's so is it about looks or performance. They also have a sticker of about $500-600 each and you need 4 of them plus the intake so are we looking at about $3000 for the system? For that kind of money you could go a long way toward a blower setup and really rock. IMHO

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
no no... this would be for a Corvette
not my BMW

they actually are Electronic Fuel Injection Individual Throttle Bodies, not carbs.
you need to supply a laptop and standalone engine management.

think BMW M5...

I know a guy that built his 5.0 Ford engine with those throttle bodies and TEC 3 engine management and with just tuning the computer and nothing else extracted 350whp.
when he upgrades parts (cams, pistons, whatever...) he can just plug in the laptop and retune it :)

·
DC PIT CREW BOSS
39,567 Posts
Sounds cool. EFI is the way to go Besides they do look good. What about the cost? Are they reasonable? What kind of Vette? Do you have a project yet or looking for one? You'll be able to find a world of information here. Just ask

As a side note, I have seen old Hilborn injector setups converted from mechanical to EFI. They look sweet too.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
still looking for a Vette
Im hoping to get an LT1 6 speed
cost is... uh...
reasonable...

TWM supplies complete throttle body kits which include the following parts:

Four throttle bodies
Inlet manifold
TWM billet capstan linkage kit with 36" cable
Fuel rail kit with AN fittings
Fuel pressure regulator
Air horns (50 mm tall)

$3715 for either the 48mm or 50mm intakes.

so now you need to get a fuel injection system
SDS, Tec 3, MoTec.
thatll run you another $1200 or so

youll be into around $6000 for this project... but the gains are incredible... and you have to remember that its 100% tunable... so for every other upgrade, you can retune it.

·
Super Moderator
8,520 Posts
heres a dyno from a ZZ3 350 chevy engine running a very similar set-up,(48d webers)

notice the CROWER 00471 cam I suggested produced well over 500 ft lbs of tq and that his RESTRICTIVE exhaust had a big damping effect on peak hp as the exhaust volume went up! he will easily make over 450hp once he installs good headers and a free flowing exhaust
BTW EFI LIKE THE SET PICTURED ABOVE WORKS BETTER THAN THE WEBERS IN MANY COMBOS
with the correct free flow exhaust this is a killer set up,
http://www.crower.com/misc/cam_spec/cam_finder.php?part_num=00471&prn=1

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Throttle bodies have all the gains of carbs and all the reliability of EFI

its awesome

not to mention it looks killer.

I wish more people would use this setup.

not to mention its totally compatible with forced induction, nitrous and whatever else you can throw at it. (almost all standalone engine management has provisions for that)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts