Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Motor Trend commented on the improved 2007 rear Z06 shocks. They gave the part number as 25819268. The new Car and Driver (August issue) also noted the improved handling by the change in the 2007 rear shocks. They said, "the revised rear shocks made the Z06 a lot easier to drive at the limit." (The front shocks stayed the same from 06 to 07.)

Any installed the 2007 rear shocks into their 06 Z???

If so, comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
17,444 Posts
That would be interesting to know for sure. They are list at only $46 each at GM direct...would be a cheap up grade if they improve the handling that much.

·
Registered
307 Posts
That would be interesting to know for sure. They are list at only $46 each at GM direct...would be a cheap up grade if they improve the handling that much.
They are designed to improve the handling on rougher tracks (the ones used by some of the magazines for their tests). If you track your car on a rough track, they would be an upgrade. If you run on a smooth track, performance might degrade. If you just drive on the street, I doubt there would be any real difference (of course the placibo effect cannot be overlooked). It's cheap enough to try it, anyway.

·
Premium Member
17,444 Posts
Try to run it where ever I can, but placibo don't work I need facts and results...My mind set is that a dyno sheet never won a race... Results results win races.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Try to run it where ever I can, but placibo don't work I need facts and results...My mind set is that a dyno sheet never won a race... Results results win races.
I'm going to calendar ahead maybe six months from when the new shocks are generally available as a replacement part and see what the consensus of opinion is at that time from folks whose opinions make sense - unless I've switched to adjustible shocks by then.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Motor Trend commented on the improved 2007 rear Z06 shocks. They gave the part number as 25819268. The new Car and Driver (August issue) also noted the improved handling by the change in the 2007 rear shocks. They said, "the revised rear shocks made the Z06 a lot easier to drive at the limit." (The front shocks stayed the same from 06 to 07.)

Any installed the 2007 rear shocks into their 06 Z???

If so, comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
IMHO their drivers learned how to handle the beast.
Then they figured this shocks excuse. I will be very surprised if somebody can prove that the shocks are different from 2006 to 2007.
:cheers:

·
Registered
307 Posts
IMHO their drivers learned how to handle the beast.
Then they figured this shocks excuse. I will be very surprised if somebody can prove that the shocks are different from 2006 to 2007.
:cheers:
Then be surprised - the rear shocks are different beginning in the March or April 2007 production run. The new part number (noted above) is starting to show up in the computer parts listings. It is a slightly softer shock.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
I believe the softer shock made the suspension less choppy and reduced oversteer and twitchiness in corners that they complained about in the 06's.

·
Registered
29 Posts
my car was produced in 11-2006 as 2007 model year.
Are those upgraded shocks in my car?
Unlikely.

The original rear shock part number was used through at least March 15th, 2007.
The revised rear shock part was used on or before March 25th, 2007.

I've installed the new shocks in my Z06 and they are a little bit softer.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I just installed the 2007 l/2 rear shocks on my early 2006 Z06 and here are my initial impressions. When just driving around, the ride quality is just enough softer to say it is in fact softer. It still feels like the back end is fully controlled by the rear shocks. While going around a curve, I encountered a bump that would have caused the back end to skip out two inches (guess). It now steps out about l/4 inch (guess). While driving in canyons (second and third gear), with heavy acceleration, the back end would step out without warning. With the new shocks, I can feel the traction limit coming up and smoothly go past it and smoothly bring it back. At the same time I find that I can give the car much more throttle. My conclusion is that the new shocks work better on both smooth as well as rough surfaces. I also strongly recommend that, no matter how you drive, everyone should replace the rear shocks with the 2007 l/2 shocks especially when they only cost $46.00 per shock. As a safety issue, even if you never plan on pushing the car hard, the shocks could help maintain control in an emergency situation.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Ive driven an 2006 and a late 2007 zo6, and i totally agree with lynch, the softer shock is the way to go.
MOOOORE GRIP:thumbsup:

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Best Mod (Of My 28): 2007 1/2 Rear Shocks

I finally installed the new 2007 1/2 GM replacement rear shocks. To say that the ride is greatly improved is an understatement, especially when the road is really rough.

And to not lose anything in track capability, but to actually improve it, (per C & D article quotedabove), this is the best single mod I ever made.

The car is still very firm (the way I like it), but no longer are you shocked when going over bad road.

And for $ 144 total including freight -- best mod ever!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Labour?

How much time should it take to replace the shocks.....sounds like a worthwhile expense, just trying to get a handle on full cost. Thanks.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Took A Little Over An Hour (No Lift Needed)

Installing the shocks went easily, and took a little over an hour.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts