Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys just wanted to post how happy i am with the gear install. Took some time, about 4 hours but well worth it. My only other mods are cold air, cat back and a tune. But this thing feels like a entire different beast. Next week will be the BB long tubes and cam........

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
4 hrs i,m more impressed with that then the 410,s
Used a lift which helped a ton. But its alot of work..... Gotta drop the entire rear out. It was worth it.:thumbsup: Car tachs 1400 @ 60 mph. Funny thing is the car recalibrated itself for the gear change

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Used a lift which helped a ton. But its alot of work..... Gotta drop the entire rear out. It was worth it.:thumbsup: Car tachs 1400 @ 60 mph. Funny thing is the car recalibrated itself for the gear change
i had a 64 chevy with 456,s it ran 3200 rpm at 60. going from trenton to the shore took forever at 45 mph. ya say the speedo is not off now ? amazing

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
i had a 64 chevy with 456,s it ran 3200 rpm at 60. going from trenton to the shore took forever at 45 mph. ya say the speedo is not off now ? amazing
Speedo is dead on..... The ring and pinion are from motive and have a set of teeth on the back side. maybe its there for the computer to read, not sure. I'll keep you guys posted on the progress. this is my first vette, I just sold a mustang that made over 600 rwhp. I have a long way to go with this one. The car has 300 miles on it. Hope to have the cams, long tubes and ported intake on by 500 mils:partyon:

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
i thought you r+r ed the whole unit but you did the ring and pinion.ya know some gm techs cant do all that in 4 hrs

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i thought you r+r ed the whole unit but you did the ring and pinion.ya know some gm techs cant do all that in 4 hrs
I bought the ring and pinion from motive gear. We dropped the entire rear, left the brakes tied up, un bolted the center section from the tranny and set the gears up. reassembled everything all the way back to the exhaust in just under 4 hours. Its not that bad if you have a lift and all the right tools. I know alot of GM mechanics that I wouldn't let work on my lawn mower:smack we a;so put in the harden shaft to be safe.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
sorry for the previous spelling errors it was dark and i was half asleep. You guys can re-read it now. Maybe it will make some sense:crazy:

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
4.10s in my car and I love them. The install was done by Cartek while I waited. Had the shafts changed also. It took about 4-5 hours and the tech was talking to me the whole time. I think Rich did so many gear swaps that it was "second nature" for him. Four hours for your first time is impressive. Now you'll need to get new tires soon:laughing: The 4.10's make it alot easier to break the tires loose at speeds..... don't they:thumbsup:

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
I do not understand how you get ANY traction in first gear at all - - please explain this to me as I have VERY soft tires and first is a problem in just a bolt on/tuned car . . How do you get first and second to hook?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts