Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Good mission today,

The edelbrock rpm and edelbrock 14inch air cleaner on top of the Holley 770 street avenger seems to be a very sweet combo.
I was running the weiand x-celerator and it seemed to have very little low end (idle to 3000) as compared to the rpm intake.

I found two issues.

195 degree thermostat
Vacuum advance diaphragm leaking.

I replaced the thermostat with 180 degree Robert shaw and some royal purple ice.
Also replaced the vacuum diaphragm.

Results:

In the past 2 days it feels like I picked up 100 horsepower and gobs of torque. I also replaced the locked up fan clutch.

I went from 12-15 inches in vacuum

My tires are roasted on command from a stop and top end is just as strong.

It's been a great two days.

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Sometimes it's the little things that give the most bang for the buck. :thumbsup:

Congrats on the new found power. :devil:

·
Supporting Vendor
3,785 Posts
What did you use for intake gaskets? I still have to check my own performer install. I'm using oil on a fresh rebuild and think it's being sucked in past the intake.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What did you use for intake gaskets? I still have to check my own performer install. I'm using oil on a fresh rebuild and think it's being sucked in past the intake.
Felpro blue. Are there others that are better?
This is my first chevy motor to hot rod. It's alway been mopars and every other make lol.

How do you test?

·
Supporting Vendor
3,785 Posts
I think I used felpro #1251 but that was about 6-7 years ago I rebuilt the engine, only have about 2,000 miles on it now

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I did prep surfaces with xylene/xylol. It removes everything and makes for a very dry clean surface.

I did put a bead of rtv around water ports and let the intake set torque down over night for the rtv to set.

The one leak I did have was from the chrome o ringed water neck.

·
Supporting Vendor
3,785 Posts
my bad I think I used 1204 or 1205. The 1251 I believe are BB gaskets.

·
Registered
332 Posts
GARY, 2000 miles in 6 years????? man you got to stop working and start driving. Thats about what i do and im a weekend driver :surprised when money lets me fuel up:D

·
Supporting Vendor
3,785 Posts
Yeah I know, I'm not getting any younger! My 69 vert is sitting stripped down ready to pull the body off, for 7 years now!:crazy:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts