Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I've finally aqquired some cash, a carb, a gasket, oh... and a 69 Vert... so I'm ready to try to get this beast to start up. My problem is that I haven't a clue as to how to install my carb. I've looked all over these forums, and the WWW to try to find an "Idiot's Guide" to installing a carb. I've even been to the bookstore. I find the same thing over and over again "When swapping one carb for another, be sure to label your hoses etc so they're easier to reinstall." All fine and dandy, but I'm not the one who took the old carb off! :) And he lives in Mass.

I'm hoping some member here can give me an total newbies guide to installing a carb for a 1969 300/350 engine. I have a Holley Spreadbore that's going on an Edelbrock intake (pics below).

I've got tomorrow and Weds. off so I'd like to take both days to drain and replace fluid, install the carb, buy a new battery, add some gas and see what happens when I turn the key.

I appreciate any help you all can give! :) Guides using my pics would be AMAZING if you all could provide.

Thanks,
Ruin

Carb on the right:

Intake Pic

Various Engine Images

More pics here.

·
DC Crew
32,974 Posts
So what part do you not understand? Do you have the bolt it down and put the fuel line on it part handled? I'm not trying to be a smart ass here but how far can you go without help? As far as running it you should be able to bolt the carb on hook up the fuel line and plug the vacuum lines and run the car. That won't be a good driving setup but at least it will run.

·
Registered
125 Posts
The big hose from the vacuum booster (Power Brake) goes on the large pipe coming out of the bottom part of the carb on the Quadrajet I think it is on the rear passenger side on the Holly spread bore. Manifold vacuum ports can be identified by use of some carb cleaner sprayed through the barbs. If the carb clean comes out below the throttle blades that is constant or manifold vacuum. I just gave away all my carbs that I have collected for the past 40 years so if memeory serves me You hade a dual point distributor so you won't need port timed vacuum for the vacuum advance on the distributor cause you don't have one . The distributor also has mechanical advance fly weights, so make sure you put a little oil on these and free them up. Ck the points (I think points were still used in 69 and make sure they are not welded together or otherwise stuck.) The proper gap for them is a small paper clip. Back to the carb. If your are running a manual shift there won't be a kick down detent to hook up to carb, but if it is Auto then you will have a detent line to hook up also. The idle bleed screws should be screwed in all the way then turned out approx. 1 and 3/4 turns to get you in the ball park. Use a vacuum guage to fine tune the Idle, put the guage on a manifold vacuum port for this. Make sure all the air bleed holes sticking up on top of the carb are open by shooting some carb clean through it and if you have compressed air follow up with that. Be sure you have the proper carb gasket, if it is the thin paper one then it most probably won't work, get the thicker type. Another thing, the Holley is held down with short studs not through bolts as the Quadra jet is. Get them at most any parts store.
Hope this gets you pointed in the right direction and good luck. If you have any specific questions I can help with from far away e mail me and I will try.
[email protected]
AKA
Dandy Don

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
RaidMagic, I'm a body worker. Not a mechanic. This is all very new to me. I'm not completely ignorant of mechanics, but I've never really had to do my own work. I've been told "any idiot" can install a carb, and I suppose I'm one. :) I figured I'd give it a try.

What I'm looking for is "Okay, hook up your X line first, which you can find leading off of your Y that's found in position Z on the Passenger side" Something like that.

Dandy Don,
I appreciate the help! :) What size studs do I need? Should an employee know what I need? My throttle cable has some kind of bracket on it, do I bolt this in-between the carb an intake? How many cables/hoses/lines in all should I expect to hook up? Mine is a manual trans.

Like I said, this is a guide for an idiot. :D So please, go easy and slow. I know I can do this, I'm not stupid - I just need some guidance. There's only one way to learn.... by doing.

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
Frankly, honestly, before you even get that far. Send out your quadrajet to Lars, and have it rebuilt. Those two look sad, and if you have it rebuilt and set up right, your going to avoid many headaches later chasing ghosts. My 2 cents/free.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've done some heavy-duty cleaning since that pic was taken. I don't want to start a Q-Jet v. Holley fight here, but I'd prefer to use the Holley. I'll use the Q-Jet if I need to.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Big bird has a point. But if you wanting to find out if the darn thing will run just blow out the passages tighten up the fuel bowl screws, make sure the accelerator pump diaphrams are not leaking and turn the carb over and with a Phillips screw driver, tighten up the screws that go up through the bottom plate on the holley. You are installing the Holley or did I miss something.

Either way you will have one vacuum line coming from the firewall that should be for the heater controls under the dash. This will be manifold vacuum. The larger one will be for the brake booster, as for the rest of the ports coming out of the carb, just get a plug kit and slip the plugs over the ports. Most of the time if you just make sure all the passages are open in the carb by using carb cleaner and compressed air, this will get you by until you can determing the shape of the engine.
The studs for the carb have 2 different threads on them. The bottom or larger screw thread is for the manifold and the other is for the carb. Use 2 nuts jammed up against each other to tighten the studs down in the manifold then comes the gasket and finally the carb. The nuts are hard to get too on the spreadbore in the back so take your time and use an open end wrench to tighten them. I forget the thread size but auto zone pep boys or whoever should be able to fix you up with the proper length studs and nuts.

The bracket you mentioned should fit at the back of the carb and one hole is held down by one of the studs/ nuts on the driver side. the other should be on a threaded boss that will be fastened with a bolt and lock washer.

When you digest this give me a holler and we will get there.
good luck
and congrats on trying to do it yourself bro!
DD

·
Registered
125 Posts
Ruin,
If you do have a friend that is more familiar with what you are doing it will help to keep you from feeling so overwhelmed.
DD

·
Registered
108 Posts
Ruin, Your pics may be misleading..If you have your engine bay and parts cleaned up, Post those pics.
IMHO Either carb, needs disassembly and rebuild , fuel lines refitted... EVERYTHING. When thats done correctly , you Wont burn your car up, and you will be able to rule out The carb as the culprit when Trying to get your engine tuned.
big2Bird mentioned Lars..Lars is the guy who will help you Get either carb running like new or Better, And Hes very fair with us bunches of guys who are struggling to get our Carbed engines tuned and running tops and dont have the skills to do that alone.
A whole lot of people have sent their old quads and Holleys to him over the years.
If you want to send him an email, His address is
[email protected]
He get right back to you with some good Info:thumbsup:

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Please... no haters. :(

I appreciate all the advice given so far. :) DD, I'm headed out to take a look at my Vette in a few minutes. A friend of mine has a 72 he and his dad worked on. I'm not too certain of his knowledge and will definitely tap him for any info I can get. The problem is, of my friends I'm the most Vehicle Savvy. I can do some basic stuff, and like I said, I thought this would be a good project to get me started on the more complicated stuff.

I will probably clean the engine bay out when I get the chance. I'm still trying to figure out what I need, where to start and all of that good stuff.

Thanks again to those who have helped! :)

More later.

·
Registered
14 Posts
so that holley you want to use is a spreadbore not sure to much about them. I agree with bigbird. neither of those carbs look that fresh. You could be chasing problems for a long time. if you can swing the money for a rebuild do it. it you can't maybe you can spring for a rebuild kit for the holley and do that. i wouldn't try rebuilding a Q-jet myself although others seem to have no problem with it. If you have all that you can afford right now then by all means bolt it on, plug the vacuums up and see if it will run. if it does then start figuring which vacuum hose goes where. just my $.02

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Bumping an old thread here rather than starting a new one.

Here's where I'm at. I got my Holley PN: 199R-9934-3 (square bore w/manual choke) rebuilt. It's all nice and, fairly, pretty. I've got the thicker gasket, and the carb bolted down using a criss-cross pattern.

Now, this is where I'm stuck. Again, please, no haters. I'm trying to do this on my own, and just need some guidance so I can learn.

I've got hoses all over the place that just aren't making any sense. I'm hoping you all can help me make sense of them.

I've got a hose coming out from unerneath the radiator coolant reservoir lid. Another coming off my engine from my passenger side valve cover. Then, I've got what looks like a copper fuel line hooked to a fuel filter in front of the engine but is the wrong size. I've also got a throttle cable with no obvious way to connect it to the carb.

Any nice and easy help is appreciated. Diagrams win you a six-pack. :)

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
Bumping an old thread here rather than starting a new one.

Here's where I'm at. I got my Holley PN: 199R-9934-3 (square bore w/manual choke) rebuilt. It's all nice and, fairly, pretty. I've got the thicker gasket, and the carb bolted down using a criss-cross pattern.

Now, this is where I'm stuck. Again, please, no haters. I'm trying to do this on my own, and just need some guidance so I can learn.

I've got hoses all over the place that just aren't making any sense. I'm hoping you all can help me make sense of them.

I've got a hose coming out from unerneath the radiator coolant reservoir lid. Another coming off my engine from my passenger side valve cover. Then, I've got what looks like a copper fuel line hooked to a fuel filter in front of the engine but is the wrong size. I've also got a throttle cable with no obvious way to connect it to the carb.

Any nice and easy help is appreciated. Diagrams win you a six-pack. :)
I think a few specific pictures would help us. We don't know what is stock and what is modified on your car without them.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Will Do. I'll post them in the AM.

·
Super Moderator
8,488 Posts
RUIN, where are you located,send me a p.m. and your phone#

·
Registered
14 Posts
Ruin,

If you or anyone else does not know squat about carbs. You can go to the Edelbrock site, under support, and download videos how to install and troubleshoot carburetors. The videos are step by step, you can pause take notes, and see what they are taking off and hooking up.

Be it Holly or Edelbrock they have minor differences but you will learn what is up, what to look for and feel a little better about doing this yourself. Holley has the same kind of video's on DVD that you have to buy. It is a good DVD, even just for a refresher, I have seen it.

:cheers:

Rd

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well,

For not knowing squatt about carbs... I've got her running... ish.

I've got some bugs to work out, gas leaks, loose hoses etc. First problem was a backfire, but that only happened once. Then I got her going, and acidentally flipped over the choke, so that killed it. Finally got her going again (I'm not used to carbed engines, so I flooded a few times) and when I turned the switch off she spat smoke out of the carb. Ideas?

Oh, as far as hoses: Got the fuel in the right place, duh. Got the hose from the firewall plugged in the back port of the carb, and the hose from the engine (I assume PCV) plugged in the port on the passenger side.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts