Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all I am getting ready to install these hooker headers and the MagnaFlow exhaust is there any tips or things I should be aware of or is this a straight forward job. I have a stock 1969 automatic 350 block with A/C. Any tips ideas or anything I should add or change while I'm doing this would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
jack the car up as high as you can safely get it--even on ramps, i use my floor jack to top out the front springs.

to slip the BBC hedmens into mine, the driver side went up from the bottom and the passengers side went in from the top. yours may be different.

its considered "normal" to lift a motor mount ( sometimes both ), remove starter, take off oil filter, cut ears off trans, ding tubes, etc...depending what motor / car / brand of headers you have.

a typical install for a novice may be anywhere from 4 hours to 4 days for a set of headers--again, depending on brand /car / motor combo.

sometimes its unreal. other times they go in like buttah.

i normally cut the head side flanges between the tubes ( so on a smallblock you end up with 3 seperate tubes- 1 front, 1 set of 2 in center, and 1 rear with 2 bolt holes each-- per side.
big block you end up with 4 seperate tubes per side with 2 bolt holes each. ) as it helps with flexing around during install AND helps the gaskets seal up better to boot.

i also cut each gasket from bottom edge up to each bolt hole and remove the excess--so on smallblock you would have 6 cuts per side--that way you can hang ALL the bolts first ( leave them very loose ) then cram gasket downwards over top of bolts between header & head. beats trying to line up bolt and gaskets through header flange...

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
heat

Man headers make HEAT! You will notice it is much toastier in the old driver's seat.

Also you will want to heat wrap your master cylinder and brake lines in the engine compartment.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you guys for the tips. That is 1 thing I didn't think of is the heat. Do you guys think having the headers ceramic coated would help make a difference with less heat?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts