Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 69 that has been passed down from my father, he bought the car new, drove it for about 5 years and then only used it for drag racing. The car has been partially parted out and I would like to get it back into better racing condition with a solid rear end. What is the best approach for function and cost? My goal is to keep most of the interior in original form and get the car into the high 9s.

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
I haven't done the conversion to a solid rear end but have done a lot of research. No one else seemed to be answering your question, so I'll put in my 2 cents worth.

It sounds like the car had a solid rear end at one time. You should probably go under and figure out if it had a ladder bar or 4 link set-up. If the brackets are still there your job will be much easier, assuming they are properly installed. Go look at the catalogs provided by Chris Alston's Chassisworks, Chassis Engineering, etc. and figure out what system you had previously.

You'll also have to figure out how wide a tire will fit in the space you have or plan to have. Then choose a rim and offset. This combined with your mounting locations will give you the ability to figure out what your rear end configuration will be and where the brackets need to be placed. Remember the Corvette drivetrain is offset to the passenger side. Most people are saying 1" offset, but I haven't ever verified that.

Or, you could just scrap all the old stuff and go with a completely welded back-half assembly (see Chassisworks, Competition Engineering, Jegs, Summit, etc). But this would be a fair amount of work. There is a good book by Super Chevy/Chris Alston where they take you through the entire process of back-halfing an old Chevy Nova (as well as front clip, sheet metal interior, etc.). I don't have the title right now. Chris Alston's catalog also has some step-by-step articles in the back if you don't want to buy the book (it's on-line)

Good luck, it can get expensive real fast.

Didn't include links as it is against the policy of DC.

·
Registered
596 Posts
I had a few racing-buddies have cars built by Ken Hoger (spelling? ) in Illinois (I believe his shop is/was in Joliet? ), including a Super Comp-style '55 T-bird, and a blown/injected small-block '68 Mustang door-slammer:
that shop may be able to offer help & ideas.

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
goracec3,

Here's the reference I mentioned above.

Super Chevy's Nova Handbook - High Performance Street Modifications and Upgrades for 1962 - 1967 Chevy Novas from the Editors of Super Chevy Magazine. HPBooks is the publisher.

It's the only book like it I have found.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Thanks for the reply. Actually we had the original irs setup with Strange spool and half shafts, unfortunately the half shafts did not hold up. I have spoke with a local car builder who has done a couple of vette back halves and he says I will definateley want more tire then the simple non back half install will allow. If I want to do wheelies and run in the low 9s I will need to get out the cutter and build a bridged back half with some big tires. What I need to figure out is pinion angle and housing locations and obviously width.

Talk to you soon

·
Registered
596 Posts
I'm going-over to Bradenton Motorsports Park next Saturday (25 August ) morning for the RevXtreme Corvette Challenge Series, and I'll see if I can get some under-car pictures of Dan Bouldry's C3 in the pits before racing begins.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I liked this installation of a straight axle that did not require a back-half job. It appears neat and straight forward.
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

·
Registered
959 Posts
Thanks for the reply. Actually we had the original irs setup with Strange spool and half shafts, unfortunately the half shafts did not hold up.

Talk to you soon
thats odd I have a Strange Spool here that uses a solid shaft (splined in the center) and two bolt on yokes.
redvetracr

·
Registered
596 Posts
I liked this installation of a straight axle that did not require a back-half job. It appears neat and straight forward.
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
:agree:

I seriously-considered a full-blown back-half, with narrowed frame-rails, tubs, and 33" x 15" Eagles, but at my age, I'm 'content' running low-12s/11s, and I believe I can do that with something like what you showed above:
it'll consistently plant the tires, transfer-weight, go down-track, not have the problems associated with multiple U-joints or splined-joints in a typical C3 rear-end, and I can run a spool, too.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I did see these pics of the blue vet. It does look great and these pics are what made me consider not back halfing our car. If our car was is better shape I would do it this way but we are far enough gone that I plan to go all the way and put some reeeaaly biiig tires underneath her. Like I said before I want to run in the 9s.

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
If you run slicks you might be able to get away without the really wide tires. If you plan on running drag radials and driving to the track tire width will be an issue. I was driving my car last night and left with a couple thousand RPM and the Hoosiers broke loose. The tires are 31x12 hoosiers and the motor is 500 HP. I want to continue to run drag radials, so as far as I can tell racing would mean I need to back half the car (and more HP).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts