Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm dropping my initial coverage from Nationwide and going to Collector insurance. I have a quote from Hagerty of about $260 and about $180 from JCTaylor. NCM doesn't cover MN so didn't get a quote from them.

I see most of them list that the car can't be a daily driver, which is a given for me. However, they list that it's to be used primarily in car shows, parades, club activities and functions of public interest.

So I ran a scenario by them that I think could happen. Once a year I'd like to take my car back to my parents in ND or my uncle (who had a '70) who are about 500 miles away from me for a 5 day vacation. The guy at Hagerty said that scenario would be ok but it borders on daily use. The person I talked to at JC Taylor said that scenario is not covered as I'd have to have my normal daily driver with me.

So I'm wondering what you guys and gals, who do longer cruises, use for insurance? Do you just blow caution to the wind and hope you don't get in a wreck on a vacation type cruise? Or maybe you don't use Collector insurance at all, just normal type insurance?

Thanks,
Jeff

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I just got off the phone with a rep from American Modern Insurance Group. The rep on the phone also said that my scenario would *NOT* be covered.

It seems that if I can find a car show at my parents or uncles that I can use it for that purpose, but the chance of finding a car show at those places when I want to go is remote.

This is a real bummer.

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Nationwide is On Your Side!

I'm not sure how taking your car on a long weekend vacation once a year is considered "Daily Driven"? :crazy:

Daily driving is exactly that.... Daily commuter driving in commuter traffic. I think the sales reps that you spoke to are just covering their asses for legal purposes.

IMO-Take the collector's insurance-get the stated amount coverage. If the once a year vacation trip bothers you, call your local Nationwide agent a few days before you leave and put the car back on that policy for the week or so that you'll be driving the car. Nationwide will prorate the premium for the days that you have it on the policy. (very cheap) That way...if something happens and the collecter company refuses payment, you still have your regular coverage for the trip. Nationwide has no limits on such trips....Trust me. ;) When you get home, call your agent and take the car back off. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
855 Posts
I have Hagerty and I call them inadvance to let them know where & when I will be taking my road trips. I have taken both my old red 69 and my current black 69 vette to my parents that live 650 miles away. You can tell them 1 of 2 things

1. There is a show or a car club cruise event that week you are there. Note the car club does not have to be Corvette specific.

2. You are taking the car up there to do some work on your car with your family members that you can't do alone at home.

Otherwise...you can just roll the dice and hope the accident is not your fault and other person has enough insurance. I am not worried about causing an accident myself as I will accept my faults if it does happen but my main concern is somebody else causing the accident.

I have made the trip 5 times in both cars and only 2 of the times did they ask me the "purpose" for my trip.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Hagerty told me that there is no mileage limits per year, I just cant use the car as my daily drive to work and back car.

He said cruises, shows, weekend trips etc are covered.
I can even take it to work if I have an appointment for a mechanic after work. Plus they insure my tools and extra parts.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here is an online chat I had with the Hagerty rep:

=======================================
John: Good afternoon, Jeffrey.

John: How may I help you today?

Jeffrey Braun: John, I'm shopping for insurance coverage for my 1971 Chevy Corvette and had a particular scenario that seems to be causing problems with other collector insurance agencies I'm looking at

Jeffrey Braun: the scenario is this...

Jeffrey Braun: once a year I'd like to drive my car to my parents or maybe my uncles (who had a 70 Corvette) to show off my '71 Corvette. Both are about 500 miles away and I'd be there possibly for 5 days. This would be considered a vacation and would be my only mode of transportation for the journey.

Jeffrey Braun: would I be covered or not?

John: We don't usually like to see a vehicle taken on vacations that are not hobby related, but our underwriters would look at the usage as a whole and consider that when reviewing your application. It is not necessarily an automatic disqualification, no.

Jeffrey Braun: and I understand that. the car would at all other times would be used in accordance to "weekend cruise" type events, or an occassional trip to Dairy Queen. I just wanted to make sure that this particular scenario wouldn't cause a problem and it sounds like it wouldn't. If I could find a car show near my parents or uncles during the 5 days I was there, would that help?

John: Only if that was really your intent.

Jeffrey Braun: ok thanks, that's all the questions I had.

John: Glad to help you, Jeffrey. Thank you for taking the time to stop by today. If we can be of further assistance, please do not hesitate to let us know.
====================================

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hagerty told me that there is no mileage limits per year, I just cant use the car as my daily drive to work and back car.

He said cruises, shows, weekend trips etc are covered.
I can even take it to work if I have an appointment for a mechanic after work. Plus they insure my tools and extra parts.
Yes, there is no mileage with Hagerty. I can see the "weekend trip" being covered, but a 5 day vacation? Even if it's just once a year, they might say that qualifies as a daily driver as I'd have no other mode of transportation. I think that's where the problem is.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have Hagerty and I call them inadvance to let them know where & when I will be taking my road trips. I have taken both my old red 69 and my current black 69 vette to my parents that live 650 miles away. You can tell them 1 of 2 things

1. There is a show or a car club cruise event that week you are there. Note the car club does not have to be Corvette specific.

2. You are taking the car up there to do some work on your car with your family members that you can't do alone at home.

Otherwise...you can just roll the dice and hope the accident is not your fault and other person has enough insurance. I am not worried about causing an accident myself as I will accept my faults if it does happen but my main concern is somebody else causing the accident.

I have made the trip 5 times in both cars and only 2 of the times did they ask me the "purpose" for my trip.
Devils advocate here. So if I do option #1 and they check to see if I registered for the event or if there was even a real event there, and the answer is no, they might refuse to cover my claim.

#2 seems like a stretch, but possible I guess in the case I needed two sets of hands like my dads or my uncles.

Rolling the dice is an option, but if I do cause the wreck and my insurance refuses to pay as I'm "out-of-bounds" and I'm sued for $300,000, that puts me in a world of hurt.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nationwide is On Your Side!

I'm not sure how taking your car on a long weekend vacation once a year is considered "Daily Driven"? :crazy:

Daily driving is exactly that.... Daily commuter driving in commuter traffic. I think the sales reps that you spoke to are just covering their asses for legal purposes.

IMO-Take the collector's insurance-get the stated amount coverage. If the once a year vacation trip bothers you, call your local Nationwide agent a few days before you leave and put the car back on that policy for the week or so that you'll be driving the car. Nationwide will prorate the premium for the days that you have it on the policy. (very cheap) That way...if something happens and the collecter company refuses payment, you still have your regular coverage for the trip. Nationwide has no limits on such trips....Trust me. ;) When you get home, call your agent and take the car back off. :thumbsup:
I think we'd all agree that my car would be a 360 non-daily driver. It's those 5 days, maybe not over the weekend, vacation events that seem to be the sticking point. You could say that since it's my only mode of transportation while I'm gone for those 5 days, I'd probably use it every one of those 5 days to get around. There you go, that's a "daily driver" by technical terms.

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Trust me. The phone reps are covering their ass.

Insurance Sales 101: E&O avoidance = Never tell anyone they are covered or that it's OK to do something. (Especially in writing in case they post it up on an internet forum) :laughing: It's the claims department's responsibility to make that legal decision. :thumbsup:

Bottom line coverage is what ever the actual policy wording states. Taking your car on a few day vacation road trip is not daily driving nor commuting. If their policy specifically excludes such activity then don't do it. If their policy has no such wording, then your fine. Do not go by what a $10/hour customer service rep says.

However, they list that it's to be used primarily in car shows, parades, club activities and functions of public interest.
"Primarily" allows for activity outside of the stated parameters. It does not state "only".

Yes, it would count toward annual mileage limits (if they actually check this-most don't). Unless their policy specifically excludes road trips (most don't) you'd be fine.

My suggestion to you is to follow my suggestion from my first post above. 16 years in the industry tells me so.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Have you talked to Grundy Worldwide?

Their quote was ~1/2 of what Hagerty wanted for agreed value coverage. Not sure of the coverage for the trip you are planning but you can ask them.

:cheers:

Rick B.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Trust me. The phone reps are covering their ass.

Insurance Sales 101: E&O avoidance = Never tell anyone they are covered or that it's OK to do something. (Especially in writing in case they post it up on an internet forum) :laughing: It's the claims department's responsibility to make that legal decision. :thumbsup:

Bottom line coverage is what ever the actual policy wording states. Taking your car on a few day vacation road trip is not daily driving nor commuting. If their policy specifically excludes such activity then don't do it. If their policy has no such wording, then your fine. Do not go by what a $10/hour customer service rep says.

"Primarily" allows for activity outside of the stated parameters. It does not state "only".

Yes, it would count toward annual mileage limits (if they actually check this-most don't). Unless their policy specifically excludes road trips (most don't) you'd be fine.

My suggestion to you is to follow my suggestion from my first post above. 16 years in the industry tells me so.
It's all a very gray area. In the spirit of things, it's certainly not a daily driver/commuter type car. I'm normally an optimist, but in this case I'm taking a very negative viewpoint. I'm sure we could find a case where a claim was made and by some technical issue, the claim wouldn't be paid out.

When I talked to both AMIG and JC Taylor and ran them through this scenario, the rep on the phone put me on hold to ask their "adjuster" (I believe that was the term) to pose them my question. When they both came back and said that it wouldn't be covered, that bothers me. Even if AMIG and JCT are "covering their asses" legally, that response makes me second guess buying from them. Hagerty on the other hand, made it sound like it's not an issue.

Hagerty is the more expensive of the ones I've looked at, but for $50-60/year difference, this particular item makes me want to choose them.

I appreciate the feedback as I've neven known of or had collector insurance until now, so there are a lot of unknowns for me.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Have you talked to Grundy Worldwide?

Their quote was ~1/2 of what Hagerty wanted for agreed value coverage. Not sure of the coverage for the trip you are planning but you can ask them.

:cheers:

Rick B.
Actually I just hung up the phone with Sarah from Grundy. I posed this same scenario to her and she said it would be considered to be covered under the policy under "pleasure cruise". I made sure to mention it would be my only mode of transportation for those 5 days. It sounded like it would absolutely be no problem. Now this is just a single rep saying this, but just hearing that makes me feel much more at ease with choosing Grundy. Grundy also looks like it's going to come in a fair bit cheaper than Hagerty.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I've been looking into this issue also now that I'm almost done with a 4+ year restoration of my '71. Everything I've read and heard points to Grundy being the most liberal as far as covered use. Several forum members even report that Grundy allows occasional drives to work, as long as it does not become a regular occurrence and that you have a daily driver.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Actually I just hung up the phone with Sarah from Grundy. I posed this same scenario to her and she said it would be considered to be covered under the policy under "pleasure cruise". I made sure to mention it would be my only mode of transportation for those 5 days. It sounded like it would absolutely be no problem. Now this is just a single rep saying this, but just hearing that makes me feel much more at ease with choosing Grundy. Grundy also looks like it's going to come in a fair bit cheaper than Hagerty.
:agree: I also have Grundy. No mileage limitations and they encourage you to take your toy out on the road and show it off, anytime, anywhere.... the only stipulations/restrictions is you can't use it for work or school and it must be garage kept (when at home). And much cheaper, too.
I increase my premium each year because I increase my stated value of the vehicle. Something else not many companies let you do. ;)

·
Premium Member
10,260 Posts
I have all my insurance through State Farm. My '69 is insured as an antique and costs me something like $85 every 6 months. They have a 2500 mile limit, but I flat out told them my odometer doesn't work and they said it wouldn't be a big deal. I have never reported my annual mileage to them.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Im also looking into new insurance.. I just now moved to a place that I know have my own garage. was in a carport before.
My big issue is I put a lot of miles on my car.. they are all weekend miles and few friday drives to work, but i have 28k miles in 2.5 yrs.. way more than most ins co allow.. Guess ill call grundy again and ask more question..

·
Registered
855 Posts
The only risk you have with your collectors policy not covering such a trip is the cost of your car/Vette. Your non-collector insurance policy will pay all liability damages (property/medical/etc) to the other party just as if you were driving a rental or a friends car.

Driving without insurance is a felony in most states. It would be impossible for an on the scene officer to verify if you have insurance coverage and will cause a mess in the courts with us and the other party trying to figure out true meaning of policy language so they can figure out who to make the claim against bein collector or standard ins. I am sure the DA courts dont want to have to determine if they need to charge you for a felony for driving without insurance. You standard ins policy should apply just as if you were driving your friends car or a rental car.

·
Registered
433 Posts
The only risk you have with your collectors policy not covering such a trip is the cost of your car/Vette. Your non-collector insurance policy will pay all liability damages (property/medical/etc) to the other party just as if you were driving a rental or a friends car.
Grundy's policy covers everything that a regular policy covers. The one exception is the value of the car. It does not go down from year to year as does a normal policy.... with Grundy; you state what the value is.... so if you added something during the year that makes it more valuable, then you tell them and they increase its covered value.

I have an additional floater on mine because one of my sons has a less than stellar driving record. I call it the "air breather" amendment. He can't even breathe the air near the vette, let alone drive it. :laughing:

·
Registered
855 Posts
Does Grundy's cover "non-approved use" of the vette such as using as a daily driver? If it does this would be the first I have ever heard of and I would need to switch policies instantly.

It is my understanding that when you use your vette for a "non-approved use" your collector policy will not cover any losses from a related accident. This is where your regular daily driver insurance policy would become effective for covering such an event.

Collector's ins is designed to provide coverage only during an "approved use" such as a show or a weekend drive, not for daily driving.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts