Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the best intake bolt material to use with Aluminum heads?

If Stainless Steel, I know I need Anti-sieze, but what about thread sealant?

Thanks

·
Registered
336 Posts
I have always used a standard zinc plated bolt with a dab of permatex gasket sealer on the bottom threads. You could use stainless but if a bolt breaks off you'll never get it out with a easy out

·
Registered
552 Posts
Original SBC heads require sealant on the middle four bolts because they're open to the intake valley's oil.

The rest of the holes are blind and do not require sealer.

If buying hardware store bolts be careful of size, as there's a couple pushrods in line with the middle 4. Get crazy with length and they'll interfere. Have actually torn down engines with pushrod galling from intake bolts.

Hardware store stainless is either a different grade, or has a cut surface instead of roll formed, or something. Maybe it's the polishing operation smoothing the surface at a micro level. I have terrible problems with hardware store stainless seizing & galling but never have problems with ARP stainless fasteners.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Original SBC heads require sealant on the middle four bolts because they're open to the intake valley's oil.

The rest of the holes are blind and do not require sealer.

If buying hardware store bolts be careful of size, as there's a couple pushrods in line with the middle 4. Get crazy with length and they'll interfere. Have actually torn down engines with pushrod galling from intake bolts.

Hardware store stainless is either a different grade, or has a cut surface instead of roll formed, or something. Maybe it's the polishing operation smoothing the surface at a micro level. I have terrible problems with hardware store stainless seizing & galling but never have problems with ARP stainless fasteners.
I have no problem with ARP. Do you recommend these?

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ARP-434-2001/

Do I use antiisieze or some type of sealant?

·
Registered
552 Posts
Can't go wrong with ARP of any variety and those say they fit.

This application is not super picky about what you put on the end bolts, but for the middle ones don't use a liquid teflon sealer. Either use RTV silicone or preferably spend for a quality 2n1 engine bolt sealer/threadlocker. It can be tricky to find in commercial parts stores and you may want to add it to the summit order.

good luck

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Can't go wrong with ARP of any variety and those say they fit.

This application is not super picky about what you put on the end bolts, but for the middle ones don't use a liquid teflon sealer. Either use RTV silicone or preferably spend for a quality 2n1 engine bolt sealer/threadlocker. It can be tricky to find in commercial parts stores and you may want to add it to the summit order.

good luck
Don't I have to use anti-sieze?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts