Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a good article that describes the math behind intake selection.

I am curious about plenum volume, and runner length.

I want to know why things act the way they do.

·
Registered
517 Posts
"John Lingenfelter on Modifying the Small Block Chevy"

I think that's the name of it. Look on Amazon.com.

He'll take you through the entire engine putting the relationships of the airflow from above the carb to the exhaust tips into understandable language.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Hmmm.
Well, hmmm.
I have several other books of similar nature, but sounds like you may also have others as well.
So I guess my definative reply should be modified to,

"I dunno":D
John

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This is what pisses me off about automotive magazines. Great at advertising, but never explain WHY said camshaft doodad whatever is better. Chevy high performance has a cylinderhead flowbench database. Which is great. But where is the database of intake flow rates, runner lengths, and plenum volumes.

·
Registered
512 Posts
There is an old book that is called something like "The Scientific Design of Intake and Exhaust Systems". I requires a good/basic understanding of helmholtz resonators and acoustics. It is also for carbs and EFI induction is a different (but related) subject.

·
Banned
3,855 Posts
I KNOW a bunch of cheating will go on....but how many here HONESTLY and without looking it up know what a Helmholtz resonator IS????

I know it best from Loudspeaker designs dating to the late 50's early 60's....

told you all I was a geek......:laughing: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling:

·
Banned
1,873 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
I have read somewhere that D. Vizard wrote a book on this. I have all of his other books and he's very good in my opinion.

In my search for information on itb's I came across a net with the subject of Honda Integra. They had something about this subject in their library's.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts