Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of the best threads on an AMG Benz forum I'm apart of was titled something similar to this. Basically, things you may have learned months after getting your C4 that others may still not know. This can be anything from how a vanity light works to how the radio works to etc... I realize there's not as many bells and whistles to figure out on a Vette as there are on a 2006 AMG Benz, but hey, its worth a try.

I'll start with something I just learned via a post on here...and I haven't tried it to substantiate it but I'm 99% sure the poster was correct based on a previous experience:

The A/C - Heater auto fan blows on hi (10) when the requested temp in the car is maxed out (90 degrees). When the temp is set lower the fan starts on its lowest speed (1...assuming the water temp is cold and the car hasn't been run, ie in the morning) and gets faster as the water temp rises.

·
DC Crew
32,977 Posts
I've owned my car so long that the little things don't come to mind anymore. I've taken every part of this car apart so nothing is hiding at this point. Something I have learned though is it's never done...even when you think you are done, you aren't.:laughing:

·
Premium Member
4,668 Posts
I was going to do some dataloging on my 1995 Vert and when I went to plug my OBD1 cable for my Impala in, it wouldn't fit. Apparantely the Vette has an OBD2 connector. A quick e-mail to AKM will fix that though. Why would they put a OBD2 connector on it. Do you think they ran out of the OBD1 ones??

·
DC Crew
32,977 Posts
I was going to do some dataloging on my 1995 Vert and when I went to plug my OBD1 cable for my Impala in, it wouldn't fit. Apparantely the Vette has an OBD2 connector. A quick e-mail to AKM will fix that though. Why would they put a OBD2 connector on it. Do you think they ran out of the OBD1 ones??
I have no idea why they did that but they did.:laughing:

·
Registered
205 Posts
I've owned my car so long that the little things don't come to mind anymore. I've taken every part of this car apart so nothing is hiding at this point. Something I have learned though is it's never done...even when you think you are done, you aren't.:laughing:
I have a 73 Blazer (mud bogg truck) and a 94 Jeep YJ crawler. Between the two and my 16 yr old sons rat rod I seem to always have a wrench in my hand. I got my 93 vette last year in hopes to enjoy the weekend drives and get away. :rolling::rolling::rolling::rolling: YEA RIGHT! I've learned if I'm not fixing it I'm fixing it up! :smack

·
Registered
61 Posts
I've learned, from owning my Corvette, that the engineers at GM must have been smoking something funny when they designed the C4. Almost every repair is an absolute S.O.B.. But I love my 1988 35th Anniversary Edition.

·
Premium Member
2,106 Posts
:agree:

and that jacking up the front end and removing a tire makes engine work a lot easier on the back.
and I learned that the car has to be parked right at the back of the garage or the hood hits the light on the ceiling when it's jacked up.:spanked:

·
Registered
297 Posts
I learned that what I heard was true. That you don't just buy a car you join a club, or even a family, if you will. You now turn heads. You may be approached at anytime by people asking questions or simply commenting about your car. You realize there are places like this, where you can tell stories and just generally BS and have fun. If there's a question you need answered or a problem you need help with all you have to do is ask. Sure there are other great cars that garner attention. There are other forums and other clubs for those. But this is as one of my T-shirts says...."The Original American Idol". When I wave, I get waved back.....:thumbsup:

·
Super Moderator
8,548 Posts
Interesting things you've learned since taking ownership of your C4........

(1)most of my friends , that Ive taken for a ride,start too strongly suggesting I remove my foot from the throttle long before the car reaches near top speed

(2) everything costs more and takes longer to repair than I remember it taking previously

(3)you always seem to have more freinds with broken cars than freinds willing to help on your car.

(4)people rarely show up when they say they will for anything.

(5) owning a couple corvettes helps keep you broke!

(6)when you start fabricating custom parts with a milling machine and welder the older guys start to get interested, and ask questions,the younger guys start telling you it will never work, and suggest just buying parts

(7) theres many parts found in salvage yards on (NON-CORVETTES) that can be used on corvettes, IF you have some fabrication skill.

·
Registered
872 Posts

Thats an interesting situation for the late c4s. The 95 96 computers were so similar that they can be swapped back and fourth only with a change in oxygen sensors. Why I don't know. Been using a 95 wiring diagram for my 96s forever and there is no difference in the wiring harnesses.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts