Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
990 Posts
boy pat, way to raise a storm. Didn't know people had such strong feelings about the stuff. I just think other products are out that are better. Have you tried the new stuff from Pinnacle ? Its called Black Onyx Tire Gel and it really seems to work well. Word of caution. a little goes a lomg way.

·
DC Crew
53,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's just another case of someone starting B.S., then everyone following the BS like drones.

·
Registered
990 Posts
So thats the Bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz nes one puts up with

·
Registered
3,027 Posts
I can't stand the stuff myself... feels nasty and looks like crap... just my opinion. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
Black 08, A&A TI supercharger. Kooks headers. CCW wheels. Much more
12,668 Posts
i dont use armor-all on anything,it collects dust from my experience.

·
Registered
Black 08, A&A TI supercharger. Kooks headers. CCW wheels. Much more
12,668 Posts
one other thought on this armor-all sucks on tires,it strats coming off after one day,tire gels are way better.i use maquires gold series tire shine.even after driving in heavy rain,just wipe with a rag and its glossy again.shine is unreal.

·
Official Forklift Driver
7,068 Posts
Patrick, I didn't read through the CF post but I'm sure what I'm about to say was discussed. It was dicussed a couple years ago on CF. Someone noticed that Armor all was the culprit that puts the film on the inside of you windows. I don't have any tint and my car was, until recently, an outdoor car. The Armor All would bake in the sun and left a film on my windows. I stopped using it and went to pledge and the film was all gone. Proof positive that it was the Armor All. I would use it on the tires but not on the interior w/o tint protection for an outdoor car.

·
DC Crew
53,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
War Machine said:
Patrick, I didn't read through the CF post but I'm sure what I'm about to say was discussed. It was dicussed a couple years ago on CF. Someone noticed that Armor all was the culprit that puts the film on the inside of you windows. I don't have any tint and my car was, until recently, an outdoor car. The Armor All would bake in the sun and left a film on my windows. I stopped using it and went to pledge and the film was all gone. Proof positive that it was the Armor All. I would use it on the tires but not on the interior w/o tint protection for an outdoor car.
Wouldn't that have happened though with any product along the lines of Armor All?

My point was, why is everyone picking on armor all when it's 99% the same ingredients as all the other dressing products.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Patrick96LT4 said:
It's just another case of someone starting B.S., then everyone following the BS like drones.

In your very logical, reasoned reply to that moron (Oh, I'm sorry, he's one of God's children too) on Corvette Forum you said

Though I agree that surface contaminents can cause fish-eyes in paint, I also think it's poor paint prep if that happens to you! There are a ton of products (pre-sol for one) that will take off all surface contaminants (wax, grease, tar, oils) prior to painting. Every painter should be using these products! The painter has no excuse if his paint job fish-eyes.
I had that problem when I had a door replaced/painted on one of my C4s. There were fish-eyes in several spots on the door afterwards and the body shop manager said it was my fault for using silicon on the door seals (to keep them soft and prevent cracking per the owner's manual). When I mentioned Pre-Sol and surface prep he became very confrontational (that usually happens when you catch someone in a big lie).

Misinformation, disinformation, and ignorance cause a great deal of confusion in the Corvette hobby as they do in all facets of life. I'm extremely wary of any information not supported by published sources, especially sources subject to peer review for accuracy.

Nice job of confronting BS with logic.

Ray

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
RT66Z06 said:

I had that problem when I had a door replaced/painted on one of my C4s. There were fish-eyes in several spots on the door afterwards and the body shop manager said it was my fault for using silicon on the door seals (to keep them soft and prevent cracking per the owner's manual). When I mentioned Pre-Sol and surface prep he became very confrontational (that usually happens when you catch someone in a big lie).
Im a novice car painter and your right that guy was BSing you. Did he offer to repaint it or did you just carry on.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Loggins1 said:
Im a novice car painter and your right that guy was BSing you. Did he offer to repaint it or did you just carry on.
They did not offer to repaint it and I just carried on. I wanted the car back.

What was truly annoying was that at the time I had a can of Pre-Sol in my garage (still do, it's great stuff for removing substances from the paint that nothing else seems to touch) and if I knew about it I would have assumed that a shop that specializes in Mercedes body repair and painting would know about it as well and know to clean the surface prior to painting it. It was a new door, right out of the box from GM so I don't know how silicon from the seals on my old door could have come in contact with the new door.

Ray

1 - 13 of 13 Posts