Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have started to remove the carpet from my 1969 Corvette to prepare it for Fatmat installation to be followed by new carpet. Upon removal of the original carpet, some of the jute padding remained on the floors. Does anyone know of a way to remove this without doing any damage to the fiberglass floors?
I am assuming that I need to remove as much of this material as possible to properly install my Fatmat.

·
DC PIT CREW BOSS
39,550 Posts
Dampen it very, very slightly to keep down dust, get a wallpaper scraper from your local DIY center and carefully scrape it off. It'll take a lot of elbow grease but the sharp edge of the scraper will cut it off

·
Registered
512 Posts
I had the same situation om my 68. I used stuff called Goo Gone (paint dept. at Home Depot). It is a spray on gel and it worked pretty well with the scraper technique described above. Let it soak for a while, its a nasty job sort of like scraping rock hard gum off the bottom of a giant shoe:laughing:

The adhesive that was used in my car was very old contact cement. I couldn't soften it with mineral spirits, lacquer thinner or acetone. That is some tough stuff just to hold a carpet down!

·
Registered
159 Posts
I used Goo Gone on mine as well. The secret with this stuff is to let it soak in for 5 minutes or so. Then my adhesive and jute just peeled right off (well to be honest I had to scrape some off, but it was mostly effortless).

Make sure you then clean the Goo Gone off the floor when you are done. I used Windex for this.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts