Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 77 a few months back. The last owner started restoring it and he did not want to buy new dash parts so he took out all of the dash and gauge parts and made a flat piece that he mounted wear the dash used to be. It is just sheet metal. I would like to go back original, but i don't want to spend $1000 or more if i can find another way.

With the custom gauges he has (stewart warner) and the angle of the dash, it makes it very hard to even see the gauges.

I would consider anything that looked good and not out of this world price wise.

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
I bought a 77 a few months back. The last owner started restoring it and he did not want to buy new dash parts so he took out all of the dash and gauge parts and made a flat piece that he mounted wear the dash used to be. It is just sheet metal. I would like to go back original, but i don't want to spend $1000 or more if i can find another way.

With the custom gauges he has (stewart warner) and the angle of the dash, it makes it very hard to even see the gauges.

I would consider anything that looked good and not out of this world price wise.
Got a picture?

·
Registered
536 Posts
Hopefully you didn't give a whole lot for that car :surprised If not then you'll have saved some money that can be used elsewhere.

My advice would be to get an AIM manual and start scouring the for sale sections and fleabay for used parts. There are a lot of owners that are practically giving away thier old dash parts to make room in the shop after a restoration. Hopfully the harness is still there and you can always throw in some aftermarket guages if you can't find some stockers at a decent price.

If it was a 78-82, i would have given you my speedo trim, small guages trim, and console plate, it's just taking up room in my shed.

But I would like to see pics myself ;)

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I will work on getting some pics. This was my first corvette or older car even. The car has good paint and looks good on the outside, but i had no clue about the interior being so pricey. I bought the car with a engine that was making noise.(knowingly) I am replacing it with a 383 stroker short block. So now it will run good and look good from the road.

If those parts that you have will work on my car, I would not mind having them. I just want my car to be a driver, not really a show car. Me and my dad like to go to cars shows and plan to drive the car to all of them.

Thanks for your imput

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
Send a message to tracdogg2 (Mike) and ask him what parts he has. I'm pretty sure he has second hand stuff :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
Go to photobucket and create an account there. You upload your pics to photobucket, then put the image tag line in a post in here and your pic will come up.

For your avatar, go into your User CP and click on "edit avatar". There's some already there for you to choose from or you can upload a custom pic from your computer. If you do that, it can only be 165 by 165 pixels or 11.7 KB, whichever is smaller. If you have an image that you want to use but can't get it that small without looking crappy, email it to me and I'll sort it and email it back to you :thumbsup:

·
Banned
3,855 Posts
I think decent used interior parts can be had to 'restore' that whole dash top down to the center gauge cluster for about 500 bux.....

youwill need the sensors for the engine, obviously....you maybe can mount those gauges into the center bezel, or even into the original type tach/speedo assy, with some work, so you maybe want to retain the instrumentation.....which BTW, I think you can fab up or buy some curcular/crescent shaped offset pieces for those, and angle them up for better viewing, that does suck the way it is...I"d have a tough time getting used to that too....:crazy: :lookinup: loooks like the top dash has some cloth wrapped around the broken up vinyl....

I managed to buy a used dash top for my '72 here, same as yours, for 100 bux, and had to dye it again, it was dark saddle, but it needed refreshing....

don't bother with those skins, no one has ever gotten one to do well on a resto.....

years ago, there was a company called JUst Dashes....they redid a dash for my '70 lemans/GTO for like 400 bux.....think they are in California, if memory serves....

:cheers:

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
The gauges you got there are not cheap ($400-$500).... the previous owner probably thought that that's enough money spent and took short cuts restoring the rest of the dash.... I agree the angle is horrible, can't read the gauges...

If the dash is the same as the 78-82 you need the entire dash piece which is about $500 (new) - it appears he cut the dash right under the dashpad ???

I'd use all the gauges that you have, just install them in the stock dash/center console... you should be able to find the parts (used and inexpensive) if it doesn't really matter what year they're from :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
A bit easier to see it now...

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
years ago, there was a company called JUst Dashes....they redid a dash for my '70 lemans/GTO for like 400 bux.....think they are in California, if memory serves....

:cheers:
They are still in business. When I called them about my dash, they said "Buy a new one from Corvette America", and hung up.:laughing:

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I would like to use these gauges. I'm just not sure they will fit.?

If they will fit what would do I need to be looking for? Can you tell from the pics?

I keep finding sites where i can buy three dirrerent pieces. the top the left and then the right. all at about 369 a piece.

Where can i get the one for $500?

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
I would like to use these gauges. I'm just not sure they will fit.?

If they will fit what would do I need to be looking for? Can you tell from the pics?

I keep finding sites where i can buy three dirrerent pieces. the top the left and then the right. all at about 369 a piece.

Where can i get the one for $500?
The 78-82 dash is cheaper but doesn't look as 'classic' as the older style

This is $439 on Ebay

I'd try to buy the pieces used on Ebay or swap meets.... the center is the cheapest part, Ecklers for example A8521 for $99

The other two parts you need are (Ecklers) 33392 and 33439, $329 each - as said they are available used.... from your photo it looks like the upper dash pad is fine ???

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I saw that and i was wondering if that would fit in my car. If so, will it look ok?

It appears that 77 uses 3 different pieces. And this one is just one. If i use this one will i still need to use my top pad?

·
Banned
3,855 Posts
I saw that and i was wondering if that would fit in my car. If so, will it look ok?

It appears that 77 uses 3 different pieces. And this one is just one. If i use this one will i still need to use my top pad?
YEs, as I recall, the '77 uses the 3 piece dash pads/instruments/map pocket....'78 up I think is the one piece dash shown above....

my '72 is 3 piece....'77 was kind of a 1/2 step in the style change....

I do know that the '78 up console is a super pia due to constant plastic breakage from the a/c control to the large black shifter plate, to well, whatever, seen several of them, and none of them were even close to intact from the underside....busted out screws, damn nearly every one....

but then again my '72 is no saint either, every damn time I get into that pos, I have a cow....

I ought to get out my woodworking tools and do what a buddy did decades ago, to his '60 vette, just like mine.....he tore up an old antique for the walnut, and fit up a beautiful walnut interior for his vette.....

makes me think about doing that here.....hummmm....

another project, something I need.....:smack :smack :smack

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
I do know that the '78 up console is a super pia due to constant plastic breakage from the a/c control to the large black shifter plate, to well, whatever, seen several of them, and none of them were even close to intact from the underside....busted out screws, damn nearly every one....
Yep. Poor design. As soon as you put any weight on them, like a firm elbow, snap.

·
Registered
5,916 Posts

Fauxrs did a great looking dash with aftermarket gauges. I have seen it in person. Looks factory. PM him to get a picture posted.

·
Registered
12 Posts

I just replaced the dash pad of my '81 and can answer that. The dash pads for the 78-82 are complete. That means they have the top part, as well as the left, right, and centers as one piece.

They are indeed a PITA to install because of care needed to avoid breakages due to brittle parts. I replaced a nice original dash that had two large cracks running down the front from both speaker openings with an intacted used one - and immediately put a new large crack into that one on the installation... In retrospect and for the money spent on the replacement, I could have just bought one of those thin plastic replacement covers and saved myself the headache and extra cost of this installation.:thud:

If you're seriously considering this route, I would make sure that the installation points are the same between your '77 and the '78+ dashes. I know there are two attachment screws on each of the forward door sills (under the A pillar) and two attachement screws right next to the front defroster vent hole (which need to be installed from the inside). The only other attachement points for the single dash are the two that tie into the center shifter console.

Hope this helps.:cheers:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts