Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
31,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The school board approved a 5-year contract extension for Superintendent Lee Seitz on Tuesday night, just hours after Gov. Chris Christie slammed Seitz at a town hall meeting in Berkeley for seeking a salary well above Christie’s proposed superintendent salary cap. …

…Christie’s protracted rebuke in Berkeley [was] a seemingly unprecedented denunciation of a local school official by a sitting governor that went on for nearly four minutes. Christie mentioned Seitz by name, several times, blasting the superintendent as “the new poster boy for all that’s wrong with a public school system that is being dictated by greed.”

“Let me tell you something, I’m going to be speaking out loudly and clearly every day I can about Lee Seitz,” Christie said. “If Lee Seitz wants to try to put his greed and his arrogance ahead of the taxpayers of New Jersey, you elected me to stand up to people like Lee Seitz and others across the state and I will.”

Christie’s proposed superintendent pay caps would limit salaries starting at $125,000 in small districts to $175,0000 in large districts. Seitz’s $212,020 salary will rise to $216,240 starting Dec. 1, followed by annual two percent raises. He admitted to the Daily Record that the timing of his new contract will allow him to avoid the pending pay caps.

Stephen Gutowski over at Eyeblast.tv (which brings us the video) believes that Christie is on thin ice with his latest public tongue lashing. However, that doesn‘t mean he’s out of line:

Calling out individuals can be extremely hazardous. It can make you appear mean and, well, like a bully… hence the name [bully pulpit]. However, calling out an individual in a position of power who is using that power to cheat taxpayers out of their money seems, to me, a perfectly acceptable use of Christie’s position.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/irate-chris-christie-attacks-poster-boy-of-failed-public-education/

·
Registered
12,410 Posts
It's tactics like this that will cause the NJ teacher's union to screw itself and it's members in the long run.

·
Banned
9,760 Posts
It's tactics like this that will cause the NJ teacher's union to screw itself and it's members in the long run.
I guess it would if Superintendents were in the union. They are not they are management. But hey it sounds good to say the union did this. The fact is that like most of the problems in this country the problem, is the voter. Nobody votes for school board members, and if they do it is usualy because they have kids in the school system. The majority of school board members have kids in the school system and so would never do anything that could cause thier kid to have a problem in the school. So when the supperintendent says I need to make 216 K the school board rubber stamps his request because otherwise he may go after little Jonny or little Judy. I have watched this in NJ for years, from the inside. Christy is definitly on the right track with the superintendents. I have watched these guys get 15 and 20% increases for years and they are the main engine behind huge school building booms. They build huge schools as temples to themselves at public expense.

·
Registered
6,220 Posts
It seems clear to me that most taxpayers are going to side with Christie on this, and any like this in the future.

There are also tenured teachers who make over $100K. The accountability of public educators and supervisory staff will be the next push.

·
Registered
6,097 Posts
As former Jersey resident, I like Christie too. He's got a mess to clean up in Jersey and I really think he's trying the best he can to get it done.

·
Premium Member
17,444 Posts
If you are going to bad mouth the Unions at least do enough research to know who is a member and who is not.

"Better to remain silent and be thought a Fool, than to open ones mouth and remove all doubt."

·
Registered
12,410 Posts
If you are going to bad mouth the Unions at least do enough research to know who is a member and who is not.

"Better to remain silent and be thought a Fool, than to open ones mouth and remove all doubt."
OMG, I duned! :thud:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts